Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Woodmaster 712

I am another fan of Woodmaster's all in one machines. For a hobbyist with limited room, it does a good job in each of its capacities, and lets you buy one machine instead of several. Personally, I am not a fan of switching a machine back and forth from one capacity to another. I have my 718 set up as a dedicated straightline/gangrip and it does a great job. At the moment I am having money trouble, but someday I would like to have 2 or 3 Woodmasters in my shop set up as dedicated machines. They are simple, well designed machines.

Steve,
    I am sure you will like your new "toy". I also moved the on/off switches, but for different reasons.

Steve,
    Did you get the new production molding head or the standard one that comes with the Pro-Pack? A friend of mine tells me the new corrigated knives are very easy to align on the new head.

I got the bare bones 712 James.

I run all the cutters on the planer head.
    I have a adapter plate made long ago by a guy in KC so I can run 1/4" corrugated knives. Bill at WDR Sales.
    I had this setup in my old 912 Belsaw.

Steve,

I also have a 712, I use it as a planer, molder and drum sander. The machine is built like a tank and also made in the USA!! American made was the clincher for me. Enjoy.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Pope View Post
    I have had a Woodmaster 718 for several months and have planned, ripped, and created moulding's (t&g) on it with great success (hobby use).

Never stand behind the boards you are putting in ... it will kick back .. measured about 30' in the air ... especially if you are sending in more that 1 board at a time.

My 718 has a dust/chip collection problem. I have it hooked up via a 10' long 4" hose to a 1600 cfm machine only getting about 80% of the chips (we are working outside so not sure about dust) .. going to try a 5' long 5" hose next week with a reducer on the machine.

If you do tongue and grove .. then expect to damage the feed rollers .

Rob
    Sorry to reactivate such an old post...but I'm wondering if Rob can expound on his comment regarding ruining the feed rollers....

the feed rollers are rubber coated copper rods, not serrated steel like most planers are. the machine needs more grip than a typical planer.

so you eventually wear them out, especially when running boards through on edge. they're not delicate like home depot plastic tool delicate, i ran about 4 thousand board feet through mine before i thought the roller covers needed replacing. even then i just shifted over to the left a bit and kept going on a good spot. i figure after another 4-5 thousand feet i'll probably have to break down and replace them.
    Last edited by Neal Clayton; 11-27-2009 at 12:11 PM.