Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lowering Machines into Basement

1. Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wilson View Post
    Bob, one of my friends has a basement shop and keeps a small planer and jointer there. In a leanto attached to his garage he has big old iron; 20" jointer, 24" planer. He uses those for rough work and the smaller ones for final stock prep.
    Now that sounds like a great setup. I wish I had more ground to do something like that. I am on 1/8th acre. It is all I could do to add a 10x12 storage shed for the gardening stuff.
    I love the big old iron too.
    "Fine is the artist who loves his tools as well as his work."

Bob, he basically has just enough of a leanto to keep the snow and rain off the machines. Other than that they're pretty much out in the open. He figures that they weigh enough that no one is likely to steal them. He just keeps them sprayed with Amsoil heavy duty metal protectant so they don't rust.

When I bought my Unisaw, I called the strong kid over from across the road and and paid him a 20 spot and we heave-hoed the saw down the stairs one at a time, rest, one more, rest, one more. Worked out great. Maybe go to the local high school and hire a few linesman and pay 'em 50 bucks each and some pizza, if you have lots to move...
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

I have the same issue, basement shop with interior access only. The biggest machine in my shop is my 17" Bridgewood bandsaw. I was around 300 pounds when we moved it. I used an appliance dolly.

Now getting it in was easy. It's the getting out part that gets interesting! I guess we won't be moving for awhile!

Mark,

When my Laguna LT 18 bandsaw arrived by truck, I had no idea how I would get the 500+ pound monster down to my basement shop. It collapsed the pneumatic tires on the truck driver's hand truck getting it off the truck. I have an outdoor walk-up like yours. After much thought, I removed the cast iron table and fence assembly and the motor. Then I strapped the saw frame to a 2X6 and the delivery truck driver and I slid it carefully down the stairs on the 2X6. Worked like a charm. The brick stairs chewed up the 2X6, but there was not a scratch on the saw. After we got it to the bottom it was a piece of cake to manuver it into place. My Unisaw is much lighter and easier. A friend and I hand-carried it down to the basement after removing the table, fence and motor.

THis post os old but I’m hoping someone can chime in. I’m moving a PM15HH into the basement using the wooden sled method with a black and tackle anchored to my truck. I got the machine off of the truck and it’s sitting at the top of the concrete entryway. The weight seems to be evenly distributed but I’m wondering if I need to lay the crate on its back or can just slide it down on the pallet upright.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

What is that? it may be top heavy or maybe not. table may break off or not etc. etc. how much does it weigh? Pile up snow on the stairs until it is level with the ground and slide it onto top. Then let it settle down to the basement until spring then push it inside the door when the weather gets warm.
    Bill D.
    Looks like it should fly in on it's own, no help needed.
    Link below shows what a pm155h search reveals.

https://www.simpleplanes.com/a/Pm155h/EXODUS-Bomber
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-16-2018 at 9:06 PM.

Hi Joey,

I have an older Jet version of that planet without the helical head. I’ve moved it into and out of a basement and up and down a number of ramps. When assembled, my unit is pretty top heavy. It’s not at all an issue when it’s vertical and on solid ground, but if you tilt it at a significant angle, it could easily get away from you. If the unit is completely assembled, and you don’t want to take it apart to get the weight down lower, I would strongly suggest carefully tilting the crate on its back after making sure it’s secured and padded appropriately inside.

Take it it very slow and never let it build up momentum. Good luck!

I agree with Andrew, mine is top heavy too. I bought in a not so great part of town and I was looking forward to driving away with it, so we lowered into my Subaru and we almost lost it as soon as it went passed it's balance point. I'd remove the top from the base and move it in two sections. A hand truck is all you need then to bump down the stairs. Those planers aren't really that heavy.

I'd just put my wife at the bottom of the stairs and tell her to catch...

A lot of people over estimate what is needed to control heavy items down a steep incline. I have lowered a heavy car down a very steep incline with just two wraps of rope around a suitably strong post and controlled it with one hand on the rope, pull on the rope to tighten the wrap and it stops, release it and the load is in a controlled descent. Friction is a great help sometimes.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

It’s a Powermatic 15” planer

If the motor is down low leave it in place, if it is mounted high up I would pull the motor by cutting the cord. Then that I would bolt the machine to a couple of 4x6's to make a sled with some cross pieces. use a rope and winch to lower it down the stairs, maybe on plywood to spread the load.
    While the motor is off verify the bearings are good. I like to rewire with a plug and cord for any later servicing.
    Bill D

Take lots of measurements and make sure it will clear through the doors..
    Take it apart as much as possible. Moving 100# pieces is a whole lot easier than 500#...

But the last thing is... Depending on your own physical health and overall desire to do this - consider hiring professional movers. The last 2 in town moves - I hired out the moving to a local moving company... It's money well spent. Because you don't have to kill yourself while all your friends who promised to be there beg off, don't show up, or work half an hour, complain a lot, and leave early....

I use machine movers and riggers all the time with work... You would be amazed at how fast and efficiently they can get a giant, heavy, bulky machine into a tight space.... It's their day job. And they can get it done without destroying the walls and house or dropping/breaking your machine...

Whatever you use to control the sled's decent (come alongs, ropes and pulleys or a boat winch) if you put a pair, one each side of the table, of 3x4s in the machine and crank the table up to hold it, you have something to grab and manipulate the planer with and 4 guys can pick it up and walk it around.