Thread: run time estimation help - how do I find sum of length of vectors in a .cdr file?

run time estimation help - how do I find sum of length of vectors in a .cdr file?

Really enjoying this forum - thanks to the countless posts that have brought me up to "speed" in the last couple of years...

Doing a lot of paper cutting - I job out the work to a faraway friend, and can't always get an "air cut" job time quote from an emailed file in time for a customer.

Would like to get a count of linear inches of vectors in a file, so I can plug in to rough estimates. Not raster engraving - only cutting.

I know that curves cut slower than straight lines, and more nodes = longer file time. There are few patterns, so estimating a subset of "parts" and extrapolating the run time from those is not possible...

I know my feeds and speeds - it would be great if there was a "vector tally" and "job timer" out there. Anyone know of something that might work?

Thanks!

Hi Matt

I'm trying to fix import problems with CorelDraw and ran in to this. It will do what you want as a side utility. Dig a little on Google and you can find a free 14 day trial. The name is CurveWorks.

Duane
    Suquamish, WA
    Epilog Legend 36EXT 75 Watt
    CorelDraw 2.0 thru X7

I usually run a job "dry" (no power, no material) if I'm concerned that my estimate is off.

It's very little wear and tear on the machine and gives me a really close idea. I also save the job logs for all jobs I take on so I can estimate based on similar runs. I charge $2.00/min for vector time and $1.00-$1.50/min for engraving. It usually works in my favor in the end.

If a customer wants a firm estimate, I'll dry-run it and charge them the shop rate ($65/hour) with a half hour minimum. Again... that works in my favor.

Pinnacle ZX Explorer II
    40W, X3
    Vinyl Express Lynx 24"
    Epson 4800 Dye Sub Hybrid

Someday I have found "macro" for Corel, for measure the lenght of curves. You need only install it in Corel, select curve (or group of curves) and run. I tried in Corel 12 and it works. It shows length in "mm" and amount of nodes. Converting mm into inches is easy - 1 mm = 0.0394''
    How to install? unpack and put in Program Files/Corel/CorelGraphics12/Draw/GMS (path may be diffrent in your system),
    then open Corel , and install . I don't have english version of Corel, therefore I can't exactly explain what next to do, but I'm sure someone will help.
    Zipped macro is in attachment (DD.gms )
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Jakub Borowicz; 01-16-2008 at 2:36 AM.

2311 Loveless Street, Guntersville, AL 35976

English version

I modified the macro for English language and units.

Attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Fantastic help! Thanks!

All -

Your help is greatly appreciated - I will install the options and give you feedback in the coming days - extremely helpful!

This is a fantastic forum!

Best,

Matt