Thread: Will these work?

Will these work?

I have two guns that were given to me. Since I have never tried to spray anything yet, I thought this would be the best place to start. I didn't want to start buying nozels etc.. only to find out they wouldn't work. I have a 5.5 hp 33 gal horiz craftsman compressor. Do I want a filter at the tank or in line before the gun? I just finished a library cabinet (woodsmith plan) and wiped on minwax stain, but never have much luck staying away from runs etc. I will probably use minwax polycrilic unless I am told differently here. Do I need to think it at all? Straight from the can? I am starting completely from nothing here. I have to say thank you again for all the hand holding provided here at the creek thanks Chris
    The guns are a binks gravity feed hvlp, and a finishline by devbliss. They were both bought with bodywork in mind. ps I am having trouble uploading pics. they are to big??? My camera is only set to the lowest quality setting?

I find that the water borne products need little or no reduction to spray as long as you have the correct size projector set in the gun. The "standard" set for many guns is fine for water bornes. Note, I don't mean water based paint...I'm talking about the acrylics, such as the Minwax Polycrylic you mention and products like the Target Coatings USL that I typically spray. But you may want to check your guns an post the projector set sizes here so folks can confirm. The Minwax product is fine to use...one of their few good ones, although I don't think it's as good as other alternatives. One thing that is very good about it, however, is availability...retail item.

Yes, you'll need water/moisture filtration at the compressor. (Which is not 5.5hp... )
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Reducing photo size

Quote Originally Posted by chris ormsby View Post
    <snip>...
    ps I am having trouble uploading pics. they are to big??? My camera is only set to the lowest quality setting?
    Chris, if you do a search using "reducing photo size" you can find several options for reducing the size so they can be posted to SMC. IIRC, the max is 5 photos no more than ~100kB each photo.

I use the free Picasa software from Google (I have Adobe Photoshop Elements but in my experience Picasa is much faster for this purpose):
    1. While running Picasa, select photo
    2. Select File from top menu
    3. Select "Export Picture to folder"
    4. Resize to 640 (sometimes 480) pixels should get the size <100kB

Actually the closer your moisture filter is to the gun, the better. As the air travels through the hose it cools and forms condensation. Filtering at the compressor doesn't do to much good compared to 25 or 50 feet away.

Rob