Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ebonizing wood - two questions

Pls. correct if wrong, but aren't most pressure cookers maxed out at about 15 psig? Consider using a paint pot, rated to handle maybe 50 psig. Justathought.

2. I have had good success ebonizing maple, oak, cherry and walnut wood boards and pegs with filtered ferious acetate (vinegar and steel wool till the viniegar odor is gone). It works best if the wood is first wet to raise the gain then sanded smooth. After it dries I add a wine tannon solution wash (Amazon) for added tannin to react with the ferious acetate and allow it to dry. Then brush on the ferious acetate solution on boards, with additioinal coats as desired. The black is in the range of 1/16" 1/8" thick at the most. Submerge tannin treated pegs in the solution for weeks for 3/8 square pegs for full penetration. Dry before use. Be carefull about not to contaminatine other woods of the project. Do not get dry treated pegs wet with water in your project or it will "bleed" into the adjacent wood.

Blog Entries
    Black walnut hulls have a powerful blackening effect. Black walnut hull powder die is a thing. I will experiment with it some more.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 03-22-2022 at 9:15 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Is there a contest to see who can resurrect the oldest thread? This thread is from 2008. Recently, someone resurrected a thread on carbide v. traditional tools that was from 2017.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by David Walser View Post
    Is there a contest to see who can resurrect the oldest thread?
    I've been wondering the same. There seems to be a lot of old threads resurrected. And not only on this sub forum. The general woodworking had 2 or 3 rise from the ashes.

Spammers do this with regularity, you can remove the spam link but the thread has been revived

On a series named A Craftsmans Legacy the host of the show, Eric Gorges visited table maker MarkWhitley, in Smiths Grove, KY who demonstrated how he made bent table legs.
    He also demonstrated ebonizing cherry using the process described in the comments to this post except he first wiped the cherry with tannic acid prior to wiping the wood with the vinegar steel wool mix.

The cherry began turning black almost immediately. No waiting although Mark does sometimes use more than a single application.

On YouTube search for A Crafsman's Legacy: The Table Maker. If you are interested.

Jim

Blog Entries
    I put some wood in boiling water with ground up walnut hulls yesterday. So far the color is like dark walnut. Grinding up the hulls triggered sneezing and a runny nose.

The boiled walnut hulls appear to make a decent all natural water based stain. They do not Ebonize. The tea got darker with longer boiling. I sampled at 15 minutes, 30, 45, and one hour. The three pieces in image 1 were boiled for the whole hour and left to soak overnight

IMG_0488.jpg IMG_0490.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 04-21-2022 at 7:39 PM. Reason: before and after images
    Best Regards, Maurice