Thread: Anyone made a base for a ping pong table?

Anyone made a base for a ping pong table?

I have an old ping pong table top in two sections, but the metal base pieces are long gone. I'm thinking of building a base and it doesn't have to be real portable.

Just wondering if anyone has built a base and if they could post pictures to give me some ideas.

Thanks in advance, Rick

Hi Rick,

If being portable isn't an issue, what I did is in the attached pics. Its just construction lumber and 1/4" carriage bolts. As you can see, my wife is using it for a work table and not much ping pong is happening. If you have a solution to that, I would like to know what it is.

I did just about the same thing for my pool table and ping pong table. I bought a 4x4x8' post and cut it in 2' lengths to get 4 pieces. Then I tied it all together with 2x4's. Brad has some good pictures though. Good idea to use bolts so that you could take it apart if need be at any point in time. I also put some 2x4's across the top to try and stiffen up the bed and that has done a good job so far. I don't have a great pool table so overall it has worked.

Good luck with your construction..

Brad, very nice!

The table's I built in college never looked like that, but they were functional. Some 2x, 4x, and a trimmed 5x10 MDF sheet and your set, a hell of a lot more sturdy then those flimsy aluminum tube supports.

Wow, that looks great, Brad! Thanks for taking the time to send the pictures. It's a big help and I'll try to emulate your quality work.

Rick

Please excuse my ignorance, but how do you cut such a big dado in a 4x4 post as shown in Brad's pictures?

Thanks, Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Schubert View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance, but how do you cut such a big dado in a 4x4 post as shown in Brad's pictures?

Thanks, Rick
    I did multiple passes with a dado stack on the table saw. You will also note that at the corners where two cross members meet, the dado has to be done on two sides so you only have 1 3/4" square in one corner of the top of the 4 x4 post (still plenty strong enough) and the bolt holes have to be offset so they can cross without interfering.

Another safer way to make the dado's (which might not be as pretty) is to use a circular saw. Set your depth and make multiple passes and then hammer out the pieces. Use a chisel to clean up the work. Easier IMHO to do that to manhandle a big 4x4 or cross cut a 2x4 on the TS.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Cuetara View Post
    Another safer way to make the dado's (which might not be as pretty) is to use a circular saw. Set your depth and make multiple passes and then hammer out the pieces. Use a chisel to clean up the work. Easier IMHO to do that to manhandle a big 4x4 or cross cut a 2x4 on the TS.
    I cut everything to length on a miter saw. As for manhandling the big 4x4, it's cut to length before the dados are cut, and a 2 1/2' length of 4x4 pine is pretty easy to manage on a tablesaw.

Rob Will Guest
    I too did one in college but it probably was not this nice.

Perhaps you can find some Poplar or some very dry 2x4's.

I would avoid using 2x4's straight from the lumber yard.

A radial arm saw is a good way to cut the dados.

Rob