Thread: Anyone have the Steel City table saw 35670?

Anyone have the Steel City table saw 35670?

Hello everyone. I stopped in at my local Woodcraft and looked at the Steel City 35670 Table saw. It looks like a nice unit at a decent price of 899.00 (after the 100 mail-in rebate). Just wondering if anyone has this saw and what they think of it? Any information on the saw would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Shannon

I have that saw it is great. The table is nice and flat and it was very easy to put together. Steel City packages it very well for shipping. There are a few other threads about this saw you can check them out with a search.

Hi Shannon - AFAIK, the 35670 is very similar to the Craftsman 22124 made by Orion. The SC hybrids have some beefed up parts to handle the optional 3hp motor of the 35675, and possibly even tighter specs. So while I don't have direct experience with the 35670, FWIW my experience with it's kissing cousing has been excellent.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I own the saw and HIGHLY recommend it. What I like most about it is the noise level. My old bench top model left me with ringing in my ears. Now I go down to the shop and turn on the saw just to listen to it hum.

Odd? Yes I know. My wife tells me so...

I picked up this saw about 2 weeks ago from local supplier. I requested it unassembled, but was half done when I picked it up.

I have had trouble getting a few things within my acceptable limits. Notably the fence. It seems to have a slight bow in the center of it. Even worse, I can get it accetable when the fence is over the main table, but gets skewed when the fence is placed over the right wing, the rear being .2 or more out. When I was adjusting it again last night, I removed the table board and pulled in the rails. This seemed to make it better. I'll have to check it more later this week.

When the saw is on the floor, the top is no where near level. I have it set now where the back of the base is about 3/4" up off the floor. This made it very difficult to level and be stable in a mobile base.

I also have a slight dip in the center of the right wing I can't get out. Meaning, it's not flush with the main table.

Everything is metric and not just one size. Ranges from 10-13mm on bolts 3-6mm on set screws. This is somewhat detailed in the manual, but PITA when tools not on hand.

If I can't get it corrected on my own, I'll call SC this week.

Needless to say I am not pleased yet.
    Last edited by Shawn Green; 01-13-2008 at 11:47 AM.

I have the Steel City 35601, which is the same saw, but with a different fence. I've been very pleased with the build quality,and don't have the same issues as Shawn. The power has been adequate for my needs and I ripped a 1.5 inch thick piece of oak 8 ft long into strips and had no trouble with the saw bogging down. I would highly recommend this saw! It is built solidly, easy to adjust and an a pleasure to use.

Blog Entries
    I'm with Scott. As it is a beefed up version of my saw which I am very happy with, I would have to think it is a winner.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Fast View Post
    I have the Steel City 35601, which is the same saw, but with a different fence. I've been very pleased with the build quality,and don't have the same issues as Shawn. The power has been adequate for my needs and I ripped a 1.5 inch thick piece of oak 8 ft long into strips and had no trouble with the saw bogging down. I would highly recommend this saw! It is built solidly, easy to adjust and an a pleasure to use.
    Darren,

I also have the 35601. I read in a magazine review that this saw has set screws to adjust the wings to be level with the main table. I can't seem to find these screws. Do you have these set screws on yours? It isn't mentioned in the manual either.

Rob

The manual on mine said they were already installed, they fit under hole under the mounting screw. The are very short and really disappear into the hole. I had to get extras because the head stipped on one, 6mm set screws at your favorite hardware store if you need them.

Once again I find myself agreeing with Scott..I also own Craftsman's "kissing cousin" to the steel city table saw and love it. I would of bought the Steel City too but the Craftsman was just priced right.. Hope this helps.