Thread: I made a donation but can't post in classifieds.

I made a donation but can't post in classifieds.

How long do I have to wait until I am able to post a classified ad after making a donation?

Bob,

You made your donation last night after I was asleep and I don't have access to paypal until I get home from school. I will upgrade your account is the next 10 minutes.

Jackie

I made a donation years ago that should cover me for a more few years but I am banned from posting in the classified section.

Is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by nic obie View Post
    I made a donation years ago that should cover me for a more few years but I am banned from posting in the classified section.

Is this correct?
    bumpin for a response..

Nic....It's my understanding that donations are an annual thing. That's why new contributors have the "2008 Contributor" under their name tag. In fact, it is my understanding that the new software Aaron is working with will eventually automatically weedout those who haven't given for the current year and change their status and title under their name tag to member.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-11-2008 at 8:33 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks for the answer Ken.

I guess I should have limited my donation (subscription?) to $6.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Nic, I have always considered my contributions which have always been higher than the requested $6.00 as covering some members that might be going through hard times, not as a multi year subscription.
    I don’t recall anyone saying that it was anything otherwise.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Nic,
    Doesn't it seem obvious that quadrupling my "donation" should give extra years access? Seems as Keith O. (aka Lowtax) should have made this clear when asking for more money.

Never was it mentioned that BIG donations would only be good for ONE year.

Myself, I look forward to advertisements as it might put an end to the begging for bucks.

Like how much money does it take anyway?

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by nic obie View Post
    Never was it mentioned that BIG donations would only be good for ONE year.
    I never heard Keith ask for more than 6 bucks.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I never heard Keith ask for more than 6 bucks.
    In fact he asked on more than one occasion for members to limit there contributions to the $6.00.
    David

And the plea for donations has always been limited to that year's fund drive. In 2005, I gave 4 times more too. The following 2 years funds were low and I was not able to contribute anything. This year a little better and I was able to contribute some again. But I never considered griping in the interim that my bigger donation should have updated my contributor tag to the newer year.
    Sorry you feel this way, but I don't see that it is anything that Keith, or the others asking for donations, have done to mislead anyone. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Nic....It's my understanding that donations are an annual thing. That's why new contributors have the "2008 Contributor" under their name tag. In fact, it is my understanding that the new software Aaron is working with will eventually automatically weedout those who haven't given for the current year and change their status and title under their name tag to member.
    Sounds reasonable.

Nic, I have always considered my contributions which have always been higher than the requested $6.00 as covering some members that might be going through hard times, not as a multi year subscription.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    And the plea for donations has always been limited to that year's fund drive. In 2005, I gave 4 times more too. The following 2 years funds were low and I was not able to contribute anything. This year a little better and I was able to contribute some again. But I never considered griping in the interim that my bigger donation should have updated my contributor tag to the newer year.
    Sorry you feel this way, but I don't see that it is anything that Keith, or the others asking for donations, have done to mislead anyone. Jim.
    Always my impression the donation was a one year thing, and I have always donated more than 6 bucks. Can see how it could be a problem now that some SMC forums are restricted to current year contributors. However, I agree with Jim that no one ever intentionally mislead anyone.

Larry

Six dollars a year is a bargain for this site!

Personally, I think that $6.00 a year for contributor status, and the added benefits that come with being a contributor, is really a bargain for a forum like this. Think about it folks; where else on the net are you going to get the sort of information and dialogue that is available here at SMC?

I found SMC while doing a google search of reviews for a particular tool. The posts and info that I got from that one thread was worth the 6 bucks to me.

My first contribution was a little more than six dollars and I plan on giving more this year. I'm by no means a wealthy person.

I do like the idea that the other gentleman had about giving more to cover the cost of some folks who may not be able to afford the annual fee. However, I think that there would be lots of problems implementing a process to make this work fairly. There will always be people who want to take advantage of other people's good will.

If you can afford to buy a tape measure, surely you can afford to pay 6 bucks a year to fully participate in this forum!
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"