Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SEC Rules

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

SEC Rules

Another college football season has come to an end and as usual the SEC rules again.

There are 12 teams in the SEC and 9 of them were in bowl games winning 7 of the 9 with LSU embarssing OSU just like Florida did. When will they learn to play Yankee teams which gives them some hope of victory.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Sorry, I thought you were referencing the Securities Exchange Commission. I don't follow semipro football

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury View Post
    Another college football season has come to an end and as usual the SEC rules again.

There are 12 teams in the SEC and 9 of them were in bowl games winning 7 of the 9 with LSU embarssing OSU just like Florida did. When will they learn to play Yankee teams which gives them some hope of victory.
    Yeah, Ken, And Tennessee was one, embarassing another Big Ten team - Wisconsin.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Geaux Tigers!

I was just so dissapointed in Arkansas losing to the Big 12.
    Last edited by Mike Marcade; 01-08-2008 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wasser View Post
    Sorry, I thought you were referencing the Securities Exchange Commission. I don't follow semipro football
    Me too LOL

I just heard that starting in 2010 there will be a 4 team BCS playoff, the Big 10 and Pac 10 are the only conferences opposed but it's expected that they will eventually cave.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    I just heard that starting in 2010 there will be a 4 team BCS playoff, the Big 10 and Pac 10 are the only conferences opposed but it's expected that they will eventually cave.
    Where did you hear that? That would be a baby step in the right direction.

Here is what I think would fix all this BCS mess:

8 team playoff. Seeded like basketball.
    5 Major conference winners from:
    Big 10
    Pac 10
    Big 12
    SEC
    ACC
    All conferences in the automatic bid would have to have a conference championship game.
    3 at large teams.

1st round is played at highest seeded home stadium

2nd round is at some bowl

Championship game played at a pre selected site sort of like the super bowl.

AND no mention of BCS anywhere.

What do you think?
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Where did you hear that? That would be a baby step in the right direction.
    I heard it from Beano Cook, in a Seattle radio interview.

I like your idea but something that involved might take another 10 years to work out, there's just too much involved with scheduling fields, selling tickets, and TV contracts. As Beano said, the reason the superbowl is scheduled for nearly 2 weeks after the teams are determined is to have time to sell the tickets with the team names printed on them.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    Yeah, Ken, And Tennessee was one, embarassing another Big Ten team - Wisconsin.

Nancy
    And Georgia flat put a butt-whoopin' on previously undefeated Hawaii. Kind of wish we had gotten a piece of the Big Twelve too

Tom
    Are you getting something out of your time here? You are? Great...then now's the time to give a little something back! Contribute!

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't consider that a blow out. OSU spotted them 14 points with shear stupidity. Outside those few mental errors and 14 points, the game was even. I'm tired of hearing how the SEC has better athletes. BULL. This game came down to just like many other major events, a few mental mistakes on one side or the other.

Look at the stats and the game was even, OSU just did a few really stupid errors and it cost them. LSU played the game of their life while OSU did not. Put that in your equations.

The other thing that is hard for ALL these teams is to play so late after their regular schedule. 50+ days lay off is hard for anyone. When OSU beat Miami for the NC I think it hurt Miami big time (the lay off). They can play these bowls much earlier... but money is such a big factor.

If they are going to do a play off, I wish they'd do it and do it early in the season and move on. Or just go back to the old system. Something we forget is that this is suppose to be College football. Not the minor leagues for the Pro's.

And while I'm ranting, don't kid yourself that these kids who leave early to the Pro's is about the $$$. No it is more about the Grades. They can't cut it or don't want to so they leave. Just about everyone for OSU Basketball last year who left early is because they were not going to have the grades to play College ball the following fall.

Okay... I'm done. Thank you for your patience.
    Have a Nice Day!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    I like your idea but something that involved might take another 10 years to work out, there's just too much involved with scheduling fields, selling tickets, and TV contracts. As Beano said, the reason the superbowl is scheduled for nearly 2 weeks after the teams are determined is to have time to sell the tickets with the team names printed on them.
    Oh, something tells me, with the kind of money we are talking about here, the logistics could be worked out.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Wasser View Post
    Al,
    Don't feel alone on the Security Exchange Commission. I couldn't make the tie in to SMC or anything related, but it is the off topic forum so I guess anything with in reason goes. You can probably tell that I am not much of a sports fan but am a fan of the SE Commission.
    David B

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    Excuses, Excuses, Excuses

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Lanier View Post
    I wouldn't consider that a blow out. OSU spotted them 14 points with shear stupidity. Outside those few mental errors and 14 points, the game was even. I'm tired of hearing how the SEC has better athletes. BULL. This game came down to just like many other major events, a few mental mistakes on one side or the other.

And LSU made the mental mistake to give one long run to OSU in the entire first half. Then they made the mistake of scoring too many points without an answer.

The other thing that is hard for ALL these teams is to play so late after their regular schedule. 50+ days lay off is hard for anyone. When OSU beat Miami for the NC I think it hurt Miami big time (the lay off). They can play these bowls much earlier... but money is such a big factor.

Wasn't a factor in the game - both teams had same lay off

Okay... I'm done. Thank you for your patience.
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Knighton View Post
    And Georgia flat put a butt-whoopin' on previously undefeated Hawaii. Kind of wish we had gotten a piece of the Big Twelve too

Tom
    I think Georgia would have put a whoopin' on anybody, including Ohio State and LSU. The game I wanted to really see was Georgia & USC for the National Championship. Even though I am a huge LSU fan, I don't think they are the best team in college football right now.

The layoff could have been more of a factor for Ohio State. They had a much longer layoff than LSU simply because of the SEC title game LSU played against Tennesee.

LSU letting the long run score wasn't exactly a mental mistake, it's just Craig Steltz is too slow.
    Last edited by Mike Marcade; 01-08-2008 at 4:38 PM.
    Mike Marcade
    Senior Mechanical Engineer
    Server Development
    Dell Inc.

Ya still got it Coach!
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan