Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morris Chair legs AKA "Me and the Lock Miter Joint"

Morris Chair legs AKA "Me and the Lock Miter Joint"

As you may know I've recently built a Morris Chair having four QS faces by using the lock miter joint. I have to admit that I ended tossing the first leg, because the joints were so poor because of a failed technique. Since many people have contacted me via PM with questions, I thought I would post what I did, issues I had, and see what other Creekers would do.

I started by milling 16 (4 legs x 4 sides) to a rough dimension of 2 3/8" W by 24" long. I knew when all was done I would be running them through the Performax to clean them up.

A critical step is to make sure that the stock is perfectly flat, and the exact same width. If it is not, the joint won't close and/or the legs won't be square. I used QSWO, so getting it flat wasn't too much of chore, and used featherboards to hold the stock tight to the fence for an accurate and consistent width of cut.

I then took the blanks to the bandsaw, set the table at 45, and cut out a notch on each end to reduce the stock that the router would have to handle in the one pass required on each edge.

My blanks looked like attached...off to the router table.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by George Bregar; 01-06-2008 at 11:00 AM.

The first pass I made on the RT was the horizontal. You cna see it in the attched pic, with the line of cut being the red line You can start to see the challenge, the surface on the table, and against the fence, is narrow. The flat pass wasn't too hard to keep the stock flat on the table and tight to the fence.

Here is where it got dicey for me...the second "vertical" pass. As you can see from the pic, there is very little flat against the fence, and a single point of connection on the table. I found it impossible to keep the piece flat against the fence and against the table, it want to rock, the results were very poor (and ended up in the firewood pile ). The bit is very large, you are eliminating a lot of stock, and the 45 deg cut wants to lift the stock. Keeping a balance of pressure to keep the board against the fence, against the table, and through the cut is hard. I had to eliminate one.
    Last edited by George Bregar; 01-06-2008 at 10:43 AM.

What I ended up doing was clamping a tall fence to table to pin the blank against the fence 9see pic). This eliminated any ability for the piece to rock, and I simply had to put downward pressure against the table, while pushing the blank through the cut. The only issue there is that the edges are sharp.

I was thinking about creating a matching push stick to do this next time. It would have the matching lock miter profile. See pic.

Anyway, the final result was great, but any suggestions on a better technique would help me and others.

successfully creating arts and crafts quadlinear legs in qswo is

George, your methods look great and success is a "feel good". While I have no images, I created a jig for my robland x31 sliding table that has similar specs -- if you can imagine transitioning from a router table to a table saw -- and the secret is the hold-downs that keep the workpieces secure during the cut.

I have a lock-miter bit, but have never used it to create a project, largely because it requires so much accuracy. I commend you for your success.

When I made my qswo legs, I just glued up the flat mitered edges.

I have a morris chair project planned for the future and may be calling on you for advice.

http://www.woodworkinghistory.com

Thanks. The set up on the LMJ is really easy, so don't let that keep you from using it. Just put the "lock" roughly in the middle, they'll match. I have the big one for thicker stock.

The resulting joint, done properly, is really easy to glue up. I used 3M blue tape every 3" as clamps. Very tight and strong joint.

at least we use the same tape

I too use the blue tape.

I will be laminating qswo slices to each of the four leg sides, and am going to try the same laminating thing on the large arms, providing the lamination is not too evident.

if you posted a pic, sorry I didn't see it.

would like to see the method you used on spacing the spindles on each side

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond McInnis View Post
    I too use the blue tape.

I will be laminating qswo slices to each of the four leg sides, and am going to try the same laminating thing on the large arms, providing the lamination is not too evident.
    Why? To save over buying QS stock? What would be the base? I'm not sure who that would work with the bend in the arms, if you will be using that design.

if you posted a pic, sorry I didn't see it.

would like to see the method you used on spacing the spindles on each side
    I just laid them out with a square clamping the tops and bottoms together for a match. Used a mortiser. The spindles are 1-1/4 wide x 5/8" thick with 1" space between. I like the proportion.

no 332 morris chair in lang's shop drawings

george, what i have in mind for a design is the one on p 63 of lang's shop drawings for craftsman furniture, published in 2001. you'll note the straight/flat arms. i will change the spindles on the sides, though.

my preference is for square ones, but i don't know the dimensions yet. if you look at the sofa table on the right -- barely visible, to the right of the armoire -- of the jpg on my homepage http://www.woodworkinghistory.com you may be able to see what i mean by square spindles.

incidentally the sofa table (and the four side tables) i made come from woodsmith

george, what i have in mind for a design is the one on p 63 of lang's shop drawings for craftsman furniture, published in 2001. you'll note the straight/flat arms. i will change the spindles on the sides, though.

my preference is for square ones, but i don't know the dimensions yet. if you look at the sofa table on the right -- barely visible, to the right of the armoire -- of the jpg on my homepage http://www.woodworkinghistory.com you may be able to see what i mean by square spindles.

incidentally the sofa table (and the four side tables) came from woodsmith
    Sorry, the pic is too small. I used the Woodsmith plans for my home, and for my cottage. The stuff for home was exact to plans...more formal. I modified the plans for my cottage. Larger spindles, no tapers or bevels, no beveled tops. I wanted a heftier less formal look. The coffee table was 1/3 smaller than the plans, and I also made a needed corner TV stand modified from the end table plans. All in all, three end tables, one coffee table, and a TV stand.

would like side profile of morris chair

george please post a side-profile shot of the morris chair

I di in #3. What are you looking for?

yes, i saw that image

george, sorry for the confusion. i did see that image, but on my screen, i can't see the upper part, where the large arm and slanting back is exposed.

i would like to see the arm in relation to the spindles

again sorry to be a pain

what type of covering on the cushions?

george, sorry for the confusion. i did see that image, but on my screen, i can't see the upper part, where the large arm and slanting back is exposed.

i would like to see the arm in relation to the spindles

again sorry to be a pain

what type of covering on the cushions?
    No problems. How's this. And I'm going to do them in leather.

ditto on the leather covered cushions

george, i saved your jpg and happy to say that I plan leather covered cushions too