Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Rabbit owners

Question Rabbit owners

Please introduce yourself.
    If you could also put what model machine you have, and how long you have had it That would really help.
    My purpose in creating this thread is so we can help support each other, Because as you all know by now, factory support for everyday problems is limited. And there are challenges unique to our machines.
    My name is Jim Jaragosky
    I have a HX3040
    I have had it for about 8 weeks.
    I sell stuff I produce through a local craft mall.
    As of yesterday I was able to secure a table at the mall for the small fee of $45.00 a month.
    currently most of my work is photos in birch
    I have tried Borg granite with limited success
    I just received my order of lasersketch granite yesterday ( I will post my results after I compare it to the Borg stuff).

I will keep a list of rabbit owners from those that post here.
    that way we can pass on tips unique to our machines.
    Thanks Jim J.
    OK your turn.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Camaster Cobra 408 working table size 48 x 98
    Wincnc,AspireII,PhotoVcarve,Cut3D
    HX6090SE 60Wworking table 23”X36”
    LaserCut 5.3
    Coreldraw X3, photograV 3.0, Photozoom3

Sawmill Creek is financed in part through member contributions.
    Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

Great thinking Jim!
    I have a HX1290SE 80 Watt.
    I have had it for about 8 Months.(4 months non working)
    I am still wandering in the dark but leaning on more and more doing High End Architectural Models.
    Haven't had too much success with images. Hope more come out of the closet and join us!
    Last edited by Arturo Villegas; 01-06-2008 at 1:26 AM.

3. Have the HX6090SE

Hi, I've had mine for close on a year. Do mostly acrylic prefab and photo murals and anything else I can really. Battled a bit with photos at first but seemed to have got the hang of it. Believe it or not, best results have been on black ceramic tile. Have to find the correct type, was just lucky.

I've been lucky because I've been able to to be up and running when I need to be except the last few months when I had the machine stored. Reconnected the water supply backwards and the laser wouldn't fire. Reversed the supply and back in business.

Rabbit has been as helpful as they can be under the circumstances and generally reply quite quickly.

David
    Rabbit HX6090SE 60W making great product

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by David Hirschfield View Post
    Hi, I've had mine for close on a year. Do mostly acrylic prefab and photo murals and anything else I can really. Battled a bit with photos at first but seemed to have got the hang of it. Believe it or not, best results have been on black ceramic tile. Have to find the correct type, was just lucky.

I've been lucky because I've been able to to be up and running when I need to be except the last few months when I had the machine stored. Reconnected the water supply backwards and the laser wouldn't fire. Reversed the supply and back in business.

Rabbit has been as helpful as they can be under the circumstances and generally reply quite quickly.

David
    we really are a small group(so far anyway).
    David what type of tile do you use and where do you get them. also settings would be helpful.
    I buy birch 6x6 cutouts off e-bay for about 64 cents each.
    I want to get some laser bits marble here soon. because so far granite hasn't impressed to many people.
    LaserCut 5.3

Many members just like you have found extraordinary value in becoming a financial supporter of SMC.

Hx6090se

I've got a HX6090SE since May 2007.
    Small minor issues but had the machine operational within a day of uncrating the beast. Machine has paid for itself already and I'm still finding different things to do with it.

Used my rotary attachement for the first time last month and made Christmas gifts for clients and friends. The guys LOVED the custom engraved bourbon glasses and pilsner glasses. Kids loved the acrylic ornaments and insect puzzles. (THANKS LASER BUZZ!) And now I'm working on an entire room of engraved millwork for a friend / client's new office library at his house. A combination of cnc milling and laser detailed work.

I use CorelX3, Crappy LaserCut 50, MasterCam, Solidworks and Illustrator SC2 (?) for my software. Looking at the LaserBuzz Collection as Tom was very nice to help out with some samples for my elementary class.

How about setting up a forum just for the Rabbit people? There are actually quite a few out there.

Pete

6. Quote Originally Posted by jAMES jARAGOSKY View Post
    we really are a small group(so far anyway).
    David what type of tile do you use and where do you get them. also settings would be helpful.
    I buy birch 6x6 cutouts off e-bay for about 64 cents each.
    I want to get some laser bits marble here soon. because so far granite hasn't impressed to many people.
    I found a spanish tile. It has a matte finish without a gloss glaze applied. If you look at the back or edge of the tile you will see a white glazing applied under the black surface glaze. This results in a white mark when lasered. I don't have my settings with me but it is quite slow..about 90 power, 120 speed. I sometimes fill with white acrylic too to enhance.
    Rabbit HX6090SE 60W making great product

James,

I don't own a "Rabbit", but I have one of, if not the original Chinese laser on the group. It is marketed by Ink Express. I have had it for over 2 years. Run it every day about 6 hours each day. I really like it.

I have about $5k in it sitting in my floor and operating. It is a 60 watt.

I run everything you can imagine. From pens to ivory to crystal, wood, plastic, and everything in between.

My software is even more elementary than yours, but it is quite sufficient. I do everything in Corel X3. I size it and color it in Corel. Save as .plt. Pull that file into the laser and engrave or cut. It is really quite efficient.

Personally, I like having the floating head and start point. Just seems more flexible than being tied to a home position. Just me I guess.

Anyway, I have over 2 years with the Chinese machine. If I can be of help let me know.
    Bob Keyes
    CI Engraving

60 Watt Chinese Laser (yeah,I like it), Corel X3, Engravograph, KM 2550, Heat Press.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Keyes View Post
    James,

I don't own a "Rabbit", but I have one of, if not the original Chinese laser on the group. It is marketed by Ink Express. I have had it for over 2 years. Run it every day about 6 hours each day. I really like it.

I have about $5k in it sitting in my floor and operating. It is a 60 watt.

I run everything you can imagine. From pens to ivory to crystal, wood, plastic, and everything in between.

My software is even more elementary than yours, but it is quite sufficient. I do everything in Corel X3. I size it and color it in Corel. Save as .plt. Pull that file into the laser and engrave or cut. It is really quite efficient.

Personally, I like having the floating head and start point. Just seems more flexible than being tied to a home position. Just me I guess.

Anyway, I have over 2 years with the Chinese machine. If I can be of help let me know.
    Your help is certainly welcome here. Thanks for chiming in. and I now know to call it a floating head. Sweet, see this thread has benefits already. lol.
    Yes, I will most definitely be in touch thank you for the offer.
    jim j.
    LaserCut 5.3

*redacted*

I don't own one yet, but expect to in a few months unless David talks me out of it when I check out his Epilog machines. Course, he's have to not only talk me out of it, but also write me a large supplemental check
    Last edited by Eric Fuller; 01-06-2008 at 4:27 PM.

Why do you need a dedicated forum for rabbit owners? There's not a dedicated forum for GCC, Epilog, Universal, Trotec, or anyone else.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Why do you need a dedicated forum for rabbit owners? There's not a dedicated forum for GCC, Epilog, Universal, Trotec, or anyone else.
    Heh, because from what I have read, Rabbit owners face some unique "challanges" shall we say getting and keeping their machines running. I could be way off tho. Just idle speculation on my part...

all the off brands are welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Fuller View Post
    Heh, because from what I have read, Rabbit owners face some unique "challanges" shall we say getting and keeping their machines running. I could be way off tho. Just idle speculation on my part...
    Well my original idea was just to compile a list of rabbit owners, but all the off brands are welcome to chime in and join my list. Like I have stated above the purpose is to share information and support on our machines. To answers Scott's question, why we are in need of special help. The short answer is, we don’t have the local support that the domestic brands offer their owners. As far as having a separate forum I don’t know if that is necessary. Because some of the stuff we may share might be of use to others as well. Also with the contributors getting their own perks here shortly I think this might be perceived as something else pulling us apart. And I truly do not want that. This community is unique and works well as it is. Although I think I remember a join a group option in the profile interface page. I will check it out maybe something like that might help us out. Any way right now I would just like to get as many people with off brand lasers on a master list, please state if you are ok with me sharing your info with other saw mill creek members with off brand equipment. I will only use it on smc and only by pm.
    Thanks jim j
    LaserCut 5.3

Very good points all of them James. Seems like if we got enough people together, a fairly good support network could evolve.
    Just realized my previous comments were likely inappropriate to be posting on someone elses forum, so I will edit.
    Last edited by Eric Fuller; 01-07-2008 at 8:46 AM.

Unhappy Hx3040

Well I started out with a HX6090, but it kept blowing power supply's when I would cut. Nice machine, wish I still had.
    Sent it back and now I have an HX3040. Having a hard time with the software (newlydraw). Thr software X,Y of 0,0 is 92 mm different than the actual cutting table on the machine ! Took a while to figure that out. The quality of the 3040 is not as good as the 6090, rather cheap. The waster cooling consist of placing a fish tank pump in a bucket of Distilled water. It works. But at this point I have to work with what I have. Tech support is almost non exsistant. I usually go thriugh Frank here in the US. He does the best he can I guess. Any one know a way around the dongle (usb key) ? I agree all Rabbit owners can help eachother. I know I have found many people on this fantastic forum who are eager to help. Thank you to all of you. Jim
    Rabbit Laser HX3040
    Corel Draw X3, Photopaint
    Newly Draw (very basic)
    Photograv

usb key

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dornon View Post
    Well I started out with a HX6090, but it kept blowing power supply's when I would cut. Nice machine, wish I still had.
    Sent it back and now I have an HX3040. Having a hard time with the software (newlydraw). The software X,Y of 0,0 is 92 mm different than the actual cutting table on the machine ! Took a while to figure that out. The quality of the 3040 is not as good as the 6090, rather cheap. The waster cooling consist of placing a fish tank pump in a bucket of Distilled water. It works. But at this point I have to work with what I have. Tech support is almost non exisistant. I usually go through Frank here in the US. He does the best he can I guess. Any one know a way around the dongle (usb key) ? I agree all Rabbit owners can help each other. I know I have found many people on this fantastic forum who are eager to help. Thank you to all of you. Jim
    Jim it would not be legal for us to post how to circumvent the dongle. like i have read about on the web after Googleing about it.
    JIM J.
    LaserCut 5.3