Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Day Job

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus View Post
    This IS my day job!!
    LOL! A lot uf us have the same job!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell View Post
    I have six of these and everything in betweem that I look after.
    After 34 years I'm 58 days from retirement.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...4&d=1102636892
    Congrats Tyler!..........

I'm not the least bit envious.....
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Electrician

I am a Electrician here in Los Angeles. I belong to the IBEW Local 11 where I get dispatched to jobs around the city.

Good job, good pay. But am looking into finding something to get out of this rat race. You know find a place thats good for raising kids and your mortgage is not 3500 a month with a high crime rate and crappy schools.
    Epilog Helix 45
    Corel Draw X7
    Stepcraft 840 CNC
    Fully outfitted woodshop
    I'm a PC...........

i don't have a day job. i work evenings. first 28 years, bigger and better ways to kill people and blow up the world, now building bigger and better ways to move concrete.
    dale

I'm a Sr. Systems Engineer for an industrial systems integration company. Basically I write and/or implement software to move information between the plant floor and the front office (and vice-versa) in manufacturing plants. Its an interesting area of specialty IT work.

If you want your house torn down and a new one built in its place, I (and my father and our crew of 5) am your man. We do our own concrete, rebar, framing, cornice, windows, siding and interior trim (and more and more built ins every job). Lot of fun to work with my father, only down side is the cold winter and hot summers... and (some) clients.
    Strive for perfection...Settle for completion

My old job was to take a lot of carp, kiss a lot of a__, and put up with stupid people, but I was fortunate enough to be laid off from that job. Given the internal politics and massive egos inside that company, it is no surprise they keep missing the holiday sales period and that their stock is down close to 40%.

I will be heading back to school in February to learn baking and pastry arts with the full intention of opening a bakery in the next few years. I have done my fair share of research and I cannot find for the life of me a dedicated bread store or high quality bakery anywhere near New Haven, CT. And lets not mention that CT doesn't have a single dedicated kosher bakery. With all puns intended, if I make this work, I will be rolling in dough...

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

I am Sr. Software Engineer at a satellite radio company. I have worked in the industrial, automotive, and commercial fields doing embedded code for awhile now.

My interest in woodworking started while watching my father build things in the garage when I was 3. He worked for a cabinet shop for a good while that did custom installs before he worked for GM. Almost every relative I have has had him build them custom kitchens at one time or another. What impressed me most is how even after 20 years his work could still look like the day that he installed it.

I regret that I didn't take more time to learn his methods while I lived at home, but I was into doing everything else while growing up. I had to learn quick though as I decided to build two large decks when I bought my house. Even at the completion of those, I barely had more than a Ryobi miter saw and a Ryobi drill. My tool lust grew from there and now I just have a major problem getting projects off the ground because I find that no matter how I build something (especially for the shop), there is no way to fit in every feature I would like into the design. So I spend way too much time selecting the features as opposed to fine tuning my skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Foley View Post
    I work for a large oil drilling contractor repairing and building oil rigs for the offshore drilling industry.
    Chris
    Hey Chris -it doesn't sound like exactly what they do, but I was wondering if you work for SLB? I work at a tradeschool & they hire some of our students. I was down in Houston last year meeting with them at their headqurters & it was very interesting stuff!

Since I hijacked the thread - I am an Advanced Training Rep for a large Auto / Diesel/ Industrial trade school helping America's future get started in decent careers.

I haven't done any real WWing in probably 2 years unless you count renovating the homestead. I got started by buying tools to fix up some homes I owned & moved into more enjoable aspects of WWing.
    God Bless America!

Tom Sweeney BP

Used to be in the Marine Corps, and got into IT security consulting while I went to college after I got out. Got into woodworking as a hobby my last year of college, and started doing it full time once I graduated...been doing it full time for about 4 years now. Makin' sawdust every day now and life is good!

I am a general manager of a Truss plant. I have been in woodworking all my life. I have been turning for 4yrs.

I am an equity trader. I spend all day trading stocks and mutual funds at a small/mid size investment company in Pittsburgh.

Your day job

I'm an electrical engineer. I've done woodworking since I was a kid and learned a lot from my dad. I work in the nuclear industry. 20 years +. I am ready for a change. A woodworking change. My brother-in-law keeps telling me to start a custom kitchen cabinet business. Another friend of mine is acontractor and he told me that is the one thing our area really needs. I know this will sound stupid but I love building furniture. Doing production work day in & day out I think would change my mind about loving woodworking. What do you guys think? I'm 52 and would love to do WW full time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Foley View Post
    "What do you do in your day job?"
    Currently, I am a college librarian.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

[quote=Tom Sweeney;739528]Hey Chris -it doesn't sound like exactly what they do, but I was wondering if you work for SLB? I work at a tradeschool & they hire some of our students. I was down in Houston last year meeting with them at their headqurters & it was very interesting stuff!

quote]

lol...Tom this is kinda funny. The company I work for used to be the drilling arm of SLB...however, it is now a huge mixture of a bunch of different companies. Let's just say that we are the LARGEST offshore drilling contractor.