Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question about beer

Question about beer

I was wondering, Is the carbonation in draft beer different from whats in bottled beer? Everytime I try to drink draft I get a sledghammer headache and I can't figure out why. The pain starts after about 4 glasses. Bottled beer is no problem unless I drink 20 or so...
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Hello,
    My solution is to "play through the pain"

Seriously though - yes, I believe there is a difference.
    Draft is usually dispensed via compressed CO2 to "push it out" of the spout.
    I've noticed that @ a "kegger", where a hand pump and regular air is used, the "headache" isn't there.

I've also noticed different brands can have more or less affect - both during and the "morning after".
    I love Labatt's on tap,,,but ,,boy does that stuff "hate" me. Half a glass and my head starts pounding.

Same with "Natty Light". (see opening comment) - but - since the local bowling ally has $.25 night on it and $.25 a game - a "five spot" can get you comotose and pretty bowled out ...
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Normally it's about the chemical that's a natural byproduct of certain strains of brewers yeast not anything added. This chemical...at certain concentrations... causes headaches for about 1 person in every 15. Some brews, sometimes kegged beer that have not been filtered, have higher concentrations of the chemical and the brewers know it but don't want to change the formula because it will change the taste.
    The other cause is dehydration. The more beer you drink the more dehydrated you get. If you drink a glass of water between beers...and you don't get a headache...well...besides getting more exercise you won't be hurting the old body as much.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

The most important thing to remember about beer is what Benjamin Franklin said. "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

I truly believe that is all one needs to know about beer.

Tom
    Are you getting something out of your time here? You are? Great...then now's the time to give a little something back! Contribute!

There can be other issues with draft beer--my guess is that the culprit is dirty lines. Not all bars are diligent enough about keeping their lines clean, unfortunately. In some states the beer distributors do that for their customers--MI is not one of them, unfortunately (state laws are fairly prohibitive).

CO2 quality can vary, though it doesn't seem to me that it would cause a headache like that.

To Glenn's point, that chemical can be more concentrated in draft beer--kegs are not often pasteurized and can often resume fermentation if allowed to get warm during storage. Certain brands are much more susceptible to this than others.

As someone who works in the brewing industry, my professional recommendation would be to stick with the bottles if the draft causes problems!

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Knighton View Post
    ...Benjamin Franklin said. "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    I'm not much of a fan of tshirts with sayings on them, but that one would have merit.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Cope View Post
    There can be other issues with draft beer--my guess is that the culprit is dirty lines. Not all bars are diligent enough about keeping their lines clean, unfortunately. In some states the beer distributors do that for their customers--MI is not one of them, unfortunately (state laws are fairly prohibitive).
    Keith
    You are sooo right Keith. I can't tell you how many times I've had to send back bad "skunky" beer. Many times the manager comes out and trys to convince me it is okay by saying it's a fresh keg. I always ask...when's the last time you flushed and cleaned the lines which sends them off with their tails between thier legs. Beer it NOT supposed to be skunky!
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

My fav...
    "Sir, if you were my husband, I would poison your drink."
    -Lady Astor to Winston Churchill
    "Madam, if you were my wife, I would drink it."
    -His reply
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

A quick question for all other beer buffs in the world. I drink my fair share of beer, (plus a few other households fair share too, if added up), but is it just me or does beer not taste the same as it used too? If you can think back to when you first started enjoying beer for the taste, and not peer pressure from friends, I think I was around 16 yrs old, and well beer had a hearty, zesty, full, bring your taste buds alive flavor. Anymore it seems that beer is lacking that inspirational taste. Is it just me, maybe I've fried my taste buds out on jalapeno's, spicey foods, too much beer to date, getting old, etc? But how I long for a beer that tastes the same as it did in 1976. I have been in more countries than states, and it seems all the same, other than basic flavors of beer, ales, malts, etc. Where did the zest go. Kinda like a cold bottle of coke on a hot day when your 10 yrs old, enlivens the buds and burns all the way down, makes your eyes water. Oh how I miss those days.
    Been around power equipment all my life and can still count to twenty one nakey

It still tastes like beer to me.......

Of course, if I drink too many and I've noticed the number required has decreased dramatically.......the next day I have to pay the piper......

But I still enjoy the taste.....one or two....just right.....

Last night went to supper with some dear friends.....had two drafts.....got home.......went on line for a little while...went to bed..slept like a baby!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by mark page View Post
    ...is it just me or does beer not taste the same as it used too?
    Neither do soft-drinks for the most part. Some of it is the water...in the "good old days" stuff was made locally from well and spring water. That's often not so any more.

But there are very few "mass market" beers that I will drink...Dos Equis is one of them. Otherwise, it's the local micro-brew and their wonderful Belgian influenced brews and other things tasty.

To the original question, there have always been some beers that give me a wicked headache even just having one. (Which is typical for me anyway) Hienken is one of them. Professor Dr. SWMBO can't touch Yuengling...the active yeasts give her both a headache and an allergic reaction.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think little mini Budweiser Clydesdales gallop on my brain the day after I drink Bud. It also happens with some other beers, and seems especially bad if I drink from a can. Fortunately, that only happens when I drink free beer at a party.
    Kind of funny Jim, Heiny and Yuengling are two of the ones I seem to be able to drink in quantity. They are the two brands that seem to be available at establishments with poor beer selections that I can both stomach and survive the next day.
    Jay St. Peter

Did you know that the average middle age male in America drinks about 24 gallons of beer a year. That same middle aged man walks about 950 miles a year for work and fun. Now that works out to be right at 40 miles per gallon. Not bad for us old timers. I'm not a good as I once was. I probably get closer to 20 miles per gallon. Your mileage may very.

Steve

Just for the record.....I'm a Bud guy......or an Old Style guy.....but before Clabo or Karl jumps in....I'll drink Leinie
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Campbell View Post
    Did you know that the average middle age male in America drinks about 24 gallons of beer a year. That same middle aged man walks about 950 miles a year for work and fun. Now that works out to be right at 40 miles per gallon. Not bad for us old timers. I'm not a good as I once was. I probably get closer to 20 miles per gallon. Your mileage may very.

Steve

Most of that mileage is to the bathroom after drinking that beer Steve!
    Ken