Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building a new shop! need some advice

Wow Thanks Guys! I did search for those discussions on air lines but I guess I need to improve on my searching skills, Kinda new to forums, (sorry) However you folks are fantastic! I really appreciate all those responses.

As to the load placement on the floors that was already factored in prior to construction. I have a very sturdy floor.

I am putting OSB on the walls and I am leaving the ceiling open. I built a 2 bed room apartment above the shop so having the 2nd floor joist open allows be to add and electric or anything else to either floor at any time.

Air lines, I was pretty much set on Iron pipe anyway, I was worried about breaking at the joints. Copper is nuts now in todays market. I really like copper but gave in to CPVC for water supply lines on this job because of price. I am starting a new house next spring 09 and I will be switching to Pex.

I can see already that I wont be doing much without consulting here first. You folks are supper knowledgeable! Thanks!

Rob Will Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie T. Bear View Post
    I am putting OSB on the walls and I am leaving the ceiling open.
    My best friend has been a contractor for 40 years. He just built a beautiful 30 x 40. We used OSB on his walls but it does not look as good as my plywood. If we use OSB again, we will sand off the splinters before painting, caulk the joints and use a lot of paint to seal up more of the voids. Come to think of it, I lightly sanded my plywood and used a leaf blower on it before painting. (It got a lot of those fuzzy things off). Again, my method of using a primer + heavy bodied gloss latex house paint worked well. It seems like the heavy paint did a better job on filling small voids. I'm sure that it would have also helped on the OSB. My friend used an interior paint but it did not work as well.

A lot of members here have a corrugated white metal ceiling put up with screws that they are very happy with. Me included.

Good luck!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Will View Post
    My best friend has been a contractor for 40 years. He just built a beautiful 30 x 40. We used OSB on his walls but it does not look as good as my plywood. If we use OSB again, we will sand off the splinters before painting, caulk the joints and use a lot of paint to seal up more of the voids. Come to think of it, I lightly sanded my plywood and used a leaf blower on it before painting. (It got a lot of those fuzzy things off). Again, my method of using a primer + heavy bodied gloss latex house paint worked well. It seems like the heavy paint did a better job on filling small voids. I'm sure that it would have also helped on the OSB. My friend used an interior paint but it did not work as well.

A lot of members here have a corrugated white metal ceiling put up with screws that they are very happy with. Me included.

Good luck!

Rob
    Thanks Rob, I dont want to paint it at this point. I like the bare wood look, I hung it all smooth side out, If I ever do paint it I know it looks ugly unless you really gob on the paint.

I know it is boring as all get out but paint everything a nice plain old white. It reflects light the best and lets face it, as you get older you need more light! I recommend the T8 fluourescents all around: no/low noise, and fire up quickly even in sub-zero temps.

A plumber I used several years back used aluminum pipe to run some gas line for me. Now I know NG isn't at the pressures that air line can/might get to but I think aluminum pipe could be used as well as black or galvinized pipe for air lines.

I just have a long hose reel hooked up to my compressor, which I have mounted 10' off the ground nested up in my half-vaulted garage ceiling. Check it out:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=7915
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie T. Bear View Post
    Wow Thanks Guys! I did search for those discussions on air lines but I guess I need to improve on my searching skills, Kinda new to forums, (sorry) However you folks are fantastic! I really appreciate all those responses.

As to the load placement on the floors that was already factored in prior to construction. I have a very sturdy floor.

I am putting OSB on the walls and I am leaving the ceiling open. I built a 2 bed room apartment above the shop so having the 2nd floor joist open allows be to add and electric or anything else to either floor at any time.

Air lines, I was pretty much set on Iron pipe anyway, I was worried about breaking at the joints. Copper is nuts now in todays market. I really like copper but gave in to CPVC for water supply lines on this job because of price. I am starting a new house next spring 09 and I will be switching to Pex.

I can see already that I wont be doing much without consulting here first. You folks are supper knowledgeable! Thanks!
    Speaking of pex, has anyone done air lines with it? I have a ton of it laying around for a future project and would definitely have enough extra to do shop air lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Haycraft View Post
    Speaking of pex, has anyone done air lines with it? I have a ton of it laying around for a future project and would definitely have enough extra to do shop air lines.
    This has been discussed recently. There is a flexible PEX-like product available for air lines, but PEX, itself, is not rated for compressed gases.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My shop is about 4 years old, has a crawl space, and 7 air outlets. The pipes are concealed in the walls, and the tank is in a central storage room. There is a drain in the crawl space.

The number of outlets is key. My opinion is the more the better. There is one outside on an outside concrete slab, which fills tractor and car tires, etc. Short lines are less of a hassle than long ones.

I am really pleased with my setup. The only joints within walls which could leak are "els" right behind each port in the room, and they haven't leaked. I don't like pipes and central vac hoses exposed, as they all get in the way and get dusty.

Positive drainage is a good idea.

Good luck.

Haven't heard anyone mention galvanized piping here, is there a reason?

Roy

Is OSB cheaper than dry wall (gypsum board) these days? Prefer dry wall for fire resistance, easy to paint smooth surface. Hang heavy stuff at stud locations if needed.

Agree with Chris. Paint everything bright white. Every bit of light helps.

Prefer open shelves to cabinets, shelf rails screwed through drywall to the studs. Granted that everything gets dust-covered, but same deal as "bright white". If you can see it, you can find it. If you can't see it (cause it is in a cabinet), you gotta remember where it is. No problem now? Wait a few years.

Just some thoughts.

I would mess up drywall I am a bull in a china cabinet at times!

Yeah, my previous shop did have a few "dents" in the drywall. But it was only the shop. I am very careful in the house.

nuff said

Personally I would run copper. black pipe is good too, but may corrode on the inside walls of the pipe.

Wow. Quite a few differant views on this subject. All good comments. I can only speak on my experience. I used to be partner in a custom machine shop. We used 1 1/4 pvc for the main lines and then reduced to 1/2' for all the drops to the machines. We had air hoses at each machine and four cnc machines that all took air to operate tool changers. We had that system in place for 9 years (we then sold our business) and as far as I know, it is still working today. (total about 15 years.) We never had a problem with the pvc pipe failing. We can always quote safety specs and should absolutely consider those when making decisions, but, we also should never take guard off our table saws. Good luck and be safe.

We Need Pictures

Charlie,

Post some pics when you have a chance. So that those of us who are still planning our shops can steal your thoughts and ideas