Thread: Drill Press Question...

Question Drill Press Question...

(O.K....I saw the post below after the fact, but my question hinges on how much drill press to buy, not so much on the brand everyone likes)

Hey gang,
    I’m relatively new to this consuming hobby of woodworking, having only a couple of projects under my belt, and one nearing completion (yes, pictures forthcoming…). I need some advice on a tool purchase (boy, if that won’t get a response!).

Boastingly, I told my bride to be that I would make the kneeling bench for our wedding ceremony (April 23, thank you very much). The design was completed a while ago, and I’ve recently purchased the quartersawn white oak. So here’s the rub, I want to get a drill press in order to hog out the mortices (to be squared up by hand).

My dilemma has been whether to get a 12” bench top model, or spring for a floor model. The dynamics involved are: 1) limited space; 2) wanting to keep the budget under $300; 3) wanting versatility and usefulness down the road.

I’ve been looking at the Delta models DP 250, DP 300, DP 350, DP 400, & 965. Also the Jet JDP 17MF. Recently, a salesman at W.J. Redmond told me about a Shop Fox radial arm drill press (floor version) for $275. I’m going to take a look at it this Friday. I guess what I’m asking is how much drill press do I need for simple woodworking projects?

Any advice is welcome.
    Last edited by Maurice Ungaro; 02-25-2004 at 11:01 AM.
    Maurice

For my needs I bought a small Ryobi bench top drill press that works very well for small jobs. At the time I paid about $200CDN. Granted it will not do the big jobs but I don't expect it to.

As counter intuitive as it seems the benchtop will take up valuable bench space. A floor model is parked in a corner and always ready for you to use. I started with a Delta benchtop and found that it would not spin slow enough for a fly cutter and I could stall it. Took it back to the store and bought a Jet 17 floor model and could not be happier. If money is an issue take a look at the (horror of horrors ) the HF DP. It has actually received pretty good reviews from owners and not that pricey I think it's about $180 if memory serves me right. My other criteria for a DP is the depth stop mechanism. I prefer the ones that do not have a dial, but a post with the 2 nuts that tighten up against each other and do not move on you. Good luck on your decision

-Michael
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

My 2 cents worth here. I believe each machine, bench top with a
    cabinet underneath or floor standing, will take up the same amount of
    floor space.
    I started with a Delta 12" bench top; later adding a rolling cabinet
    under it for storage and mobility.
    When I got an older Rockwell floor model, the Delta was sold. Each
    took up the same amount of floor space, but the Rockwell is not
    mobile(yet).
    My suggestion: if you want mobility go with a high quality bench top
    mounted to a rolling cabinet. You get mobility and storage space.
    For a floor model, consider the variable speed Delta(don't know the
    model number) for ease of speed changes. If you don't plan to move
    it, and you have a permanent space for it, go for it. I have heard of
    folks putting floor model DP's on a mobile base, but these are top
    heavy machines, that must be bolted down.
    And don't forget an auxillary table to expand your working space.

Thumbs up drill press question

I have the new Delta Variable speed and it is a real pleasure to use. It has a nice length of quill travel. Approx 3 1/2 and has a nut for adjusting the depth. It is smooth as glass when running. It has a nice table with slots cut to aid clamping. Acquired mine from Amazon and it included free shipping and $25 off any purchase over $100? I have the bench top 12" model.

Thanks guys!

Well, I pulled the trigger on two major items this past Friday: the LOML and I closed on our 1880's Victorian cottage, and shortly after that, I went to W.J. Redmond to make the decision on the drill press. It was a banner day for consumerism. Long story short, I ended up with a model 17-968, floor model variable speed. The longer quill travel (4 7/8") of the floor model, plus the FWW DP review last year helped make up my mind.

It's pretty danged huge, by my standards, and I was a bit overwhelmed when I got it home. I had a bit of buyer's remorse, but I've gotten over that! We're gonna be building a garage with attached workshop at our new house, and my sweet bride told me, "well honey, just make sure we build the garage big enough - at least we can make room for it." I love that woman!

BTW, I got this for less that what Amazon had it listed for...event with the discount (there was a glitch when I went to pick up the model I thought I purchased - a reconditioned 17-965, as they actually didn't have one to load onto the truck, so they gave me this one for for about $50 more. I think this is the first and only DP I'll ever have to buy.

Maurice

PS: my project tonight is to make a nice extendd work table for it - I've got a section of FasTrack dual purpose track for the fence, and some t-track for the hold downs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Maurice Ungaro; 03-01-2004 at 7:18 AM.