Thread: Porter Cable jigsaw question

Porter Cable jigsaw question

Hi,
    I've got a Porter Cable jigsaw that uses their proprietary "hooked top" blade. It's a great saw, other than the blades are getting harder and harder to find. I read somewhere once that there was a kit or an adapter (or something) to change this saw to use regular bayonet or T shank blades. Is anyone familiar with that? Has anyone ever dealt with this problem?

Thanks for any help!

Greg

I have a Porter Cable jigsaw that is probably 15 years old. Mine is the fixed base model. On this saw you can use other type blades by removing and flipping over the piece that holds the blade in. There is a diagram on the front of my saw that shows this. The blades with the notch in the top work well, I haven't tried the "T" style. I managed to score a bunch of the hook style blades from Home Depot on clearance when they discontinued them. I will never need to purchase another blade for this saw. The local Woodcraft sell the PC blades and I have seen them on e-bay. I really like my PC jigsaw, the fixed base makes it very stable. I have never had a need to tilt the base.

Greg

Got my hopes up....

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the fast reply. Mine is also a fixed base, made in the USA saw (model 7548). When I read your reply, I thought maybe I'd just missed something. But, no good. I took the blade holder off and can't see any way to make it hold a regular bayonet blade. There are no instructions on the front of the saw like on yours. Maybe this was an upgrade that Porter Cable added on later saws? I'll try to contact PC and see if there is a kit or something available.

Anybody been through this already?

Thanks,

Greg

I'm not aware of a conversion but iirc my old 7548 was able to use universal type blades but they were pretty worthless. I replaced the 7548 with a Bosch 1581 which imho isn't as good a saw. I think it's a saw worth keeping and if it were me, I'd spend a few $ and stockpile a few hook shank blades. I've seen 'em on Amazon and I believe Seven Corners still has 'em too.

All The Hook Blades You Can Use

Just click the link - It's Coastal Tool - They Have A Selection Of The Blades Your Looking For - Stock Up - Or - Buy The Bosch

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...htm?E+coastest