Thread: Tablesaws - recommendations guys?

Blog Entries

Tablesaws - recommendations guys?

Jus throwin' this out there guys. Beginning the process of searching for a new cab saw to replace the old faithful Delta contractors saw that has served me so well for over ten years. I had an idea on a particular saw, but it will likely run above 4 grande and I'm not willing to go that high. I am thinking in the range of like $1,600 up to around $2,500. Would probably like to go with a right extension table up to 50 inches, preferably with a Unisaw type fence but that isn't hard and fast (I can adapt to a Bies) a riving knife would be great. Right tilt or left isn't much of a difference to me. Three or five horsepower. Hit me with ideas and/or suggestions. Oh yeah, per Jim Beckers frustration....it has to be transported up to a second floor shop over my garage
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

This Steel City Ti coated with 50" fence (RT) and free freight for $1199 is worth considering.
    http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/fullpr...&go=5555HOL07C
    I don't have one but I played with one and it is nice. Hands down the smoothest fence I have ever seen.

Well here is a list of the popular ones in the $1-2K range you specified.

Delta Unisaw
    Powermatic PM2000
    Powermatic 66
    Jet Xacta Saw
    Grizzly 1023
    General cabinet saw

Fred, there is a new Jet cabinet saw out with a riving knife. Check with John or Frank at Woodworker's Haven in Southampton relative to availablity and price. With the big right-hand extension table, go left tilt so you can keep the good side up when you cut bevels on sheet goods...like when you make corner cabinets like the one you already produced.

Don't worry...it will get up and into the shop. 3-4 folks will make it no problem and it's relatively easy to remove the motor from a cabinet saw to lighten the load. (Best not to remove the table if at all possible as that potentially messes up the factory adjustments and any shimming, if there was any)

Oh, you could always source it without a fence and then add a UniFence since you're used to it's advantages. I'm so glad the fence on my slider is of that type, not that I use it much...
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-28-2007 at 9:39 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have had a Unisaw and PM 66s at work since 1969. I bought a Shop Fox for my home shop.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi