Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: recommendation for carving chisels

D man, I got you beat on that one, I have about 6 still haven't used them, and clueless as well. Perhaps our next challenge. I do know a guy in Conway (I think I told you about him) who seems like a willing teacher.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

Zahid,

If the Taunton shell carving video is the one by Mack Headley, the VHS version of the video used to include a booklet with the required tools needed, stating the size and sweeps. Does the DVD have such a booklet included?

for what its worth i really like fish tail gouges, fairly flat. great for carving to a scored line.

I have a mixed bag, of pieces I picked out over time due to budget, need, and presents. I do have a set of flexcut (fixed handle) palm fit chisels (5 I think) that were about $60. THey are the absolute best carving tools I have ever used. The point where the handle meets the blade was uncomfortable, so I wrapped in an expensive stretchy red tape (forget the name) but tennis racquet grip tape would work.

I have a few Pfeils for larger gouges that I use just with hand pressue. I like the shorter ones they have (around 6"?). Woodcraft had these, not sure anymore. Flex cut now has a longer handle, I may try those.

For mallet use, mostly have Henry Taylor Acorns. Handles are right length and thickness for me. Price isn't bad.

Also, most people don't mention this, but get a good knife or two. I love my Frosts laminated Swedish one. Great for rounding over corners and fast removal. Also a nice kevlar glove.