Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 25" Drum Sanders, who has'em

Here's a thought for you. I have the Woodmaster 37". It's wide enough to put two different grits of paper on...about 18" of sanding with each grit. It then gives you a wide capacity for those times you may need more than a 26" width. Just another angle to consider.

25" Drum Sanders

Paul,

I just bought a Woodmaster 3875 drum sander. It has a 5 hp motor. I know it is not the 25 you were questioning about but as for a drum sander it is what I wish I had purchased years ago. I also have a 16/32 Performax and it just doesn't do as good a job as the Woodmaster. I know you don't need the 38" but the 26" will way out perform the 16/32. I live within a resonable close distance to you if you want to run by and use the Woodmaster 3875 just to check out how you might like a closed drum sander. I live in Huntsville, Texas and my e-mail is jamesw77342@yahoo.com if you want to come by. I also got a free digital scale instead of the old mechanical scale and also the free reversing switch so you don't have to walk to the back of the machine to retrieve the board. Here is a picture of it. The 26" is a lot of machine and is a lot cheaper than the 38" one. Just e-mail me if you want to come by.

James Jones
    Last edited by James Jones; 12-28-2007 at 5:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by James Jones View Post
    Paul,

I just bought a Woodmaster 3875 drum sander. It has a 5 hp motor. I know it is not the 25 you were questioning about but as for a drum sander it is what I wish I had purchased years ago. I also have a 16/32 Performax and it just doesn't do as good a job as the Woodmaster. I know you don't need the 38" but the 26" will way out perform the 16/32. I live within a resonable close distance to you if you want to run by and use the Woodmaster 3875 just to check out how you might like a closed drum sander. I live in Huntsville, Texas and my e-mail is jamesw77342@yahoo.com if you want to come by. I also got a free digital scale instead of the old mechanical scale and also the free reversing switch so you don't have to walk to the back of the machine to retrieve the board. Here is a picture of it. The 26" is a lot of machine and is a lot cheaper than the 38" one. Just e-mail me if you want to come by.James Jones
    James, very nice machine! Do you like the digital readout? I have not seen one of those before from Woodmaster. I looked on the Woodmaster website but couldn’t find it. Do you have a part number/price on it?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Powermatic. Love it - eveything goes through it.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I purchased the Woodmaster 26" drum sander in 2003 and have been happy with the purchase. Their Customer Service is outstanding.
    Jerry in the Sunshine State
    Nam Vet, 67-68
    "If you're going to be stupid you got to be tough"

Quote Originally Posted by David Duke View Post
    Paul, I can't speak for the ones you have listed but I have the 26" Woodmaster http://www.woodmastertools.com/s/drum.cfm , this thing is built like a tank and performs flawlessly, what you really need to watch out for on these is the shipping charges. I was able to find mine used for $1100.00, and this included several rolls of paper, keep an eye out and you may find something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Then you should also look at the Woodmaster 2675. The Woodmaster is the drum sander you'll find in more commercial shops than any other. It is built like a tank.
    I bought mine used for $1500. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=60816

I have had both the open end Delta and the closed end Woodmaster, there's no comparison between the two machines, IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Todd View Post
    I purchased the Woodmaster 26" drum sander in 2003 and have been happy with the purchase. Their Customer Service is outstanding.
    I've got the 26" Woodmaster 2675 too. Got mine 15 months ago used for $750 and it is rock solid. It came with 8 - 10 meter rolls of paper and had fewer that 20 hours of use. I replaced the H&L PSA strip the holds the paper to the drum (cheap) and have 3 more 25 meter rolls of paper. It is superb for door panels, or large glued up panels like one I did for a Dining Room built-in recently (76" x 20").

I bought a used G1066Z in late October for a steal. Have not used it yet as I have not bought paper for it yet. It has only been used for 9 hours by the previous owner and he only loaded the front drum with paper. I have never used a dual drum before. Have only used my 3HP upgraded 13 year old 22/44 ST and it is awesome (bought from Slav on woodnet). The G1066Z is twice as nice as far as conveyor,setup, build, and fit and finish. I believe it is 5hp. Hope it works as well as it looks.

Nancy--
    have you ever had to replace the screw bushing inserts on the main thread rod? mine are wore out and I can still get the bushings from Woodworkers Supply but not sure how to go about with the install...
    thanks, Jon, Lincoln, NE

I have the woodtek 25", been great machine, but now have to replace the screw bushing on the main thread rods. Anybody out there done this on Woodtek dual drum sander?
    woodtek ddsander screw bushing on exp view.PNG thanks, Jon, Lincoln, NE

I have one of the original Woodmaster 26" drum sanders. It's a pre conveyor belt model. It's been in numerous shops and still works great. While they cost more they are made in the US and, like others said, built like a tank. If I ever decide to upgrade it (because who doesn't like new equipment in their shop) I would replace it with a wider Woodmaster. I would also get the reversing switch so you can feed the wood in and once it has cleared the sanding drum reverse the direction so you get two passes without going to the rear of the machine and waiting for the board to come out.

Like Don, I have the 37" Woodmaster, and have the drum (single) loaded with two grits, and it is really handy. The 26" is built heavy, like mine and I have had no issues in 15 years.

One thing to note about the Woodmaster is that most of the wear parts are easily found from many sources. Very little is made from hard to replace small parts.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I just picked up a Powermatic DDS-225, 25" drum sander. Haven't use it yet so nothing to say for now other than it's a heavy beast.