Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25" Drum Sanders, who has'em

25" Drum Sanders, who has'em

I have been burning up the search function this moring trying to find out as much as I can about closed end 25" dual drum sanders. I also did some poking around on some of the major tool sites for prices.

The following list is what I have come up with so far. If anyone of you have one of these, especially the Accura please comment on how you like it. The Accura is just about the only one I can't find much information on. I did talk to the owner of the company that sells them, seemed like a nice enough guy, said he sells alot of them, but who knows.

Woodtek 25", model#109352, 3HP, $1499+$166.94shipping=$1665.94
    Accura 25", model#03525D, 5HP, $1455+$307shipping=$1762
    General 25", model#15-250M1, 3HP, $1439+$377shipping=$1816
    Shop Fox 26", model#W1678, 5HP, $1980+Free shipping
    Grizzly 24", model#G10662, 5HP, $1895+$94 shipping=$1989
    Steel City26", model#55220, 3HP, $1899+$140 shipping=$2039
    Last edited by Paul Greathouse; 12-28-2007 at 4:30 PM.

Paul, I can't speak for the ones you have listed but I have the 26" Woodmaster http://www.woodmastertools.com/s/drum.cfm , this thing is built like a tank and performs flawlessly, what you really need to watch out for on these is the shipping charges. I was able to find mine used for $1100.00, and this included several rolls of paper, keep an eye out and you may find something.
    David

FYI, I have a copy of the Grizzly 2008 catalogue sitting right in fron of me. It lists the 24" drum sander as model G1066R. The price is $1,395 and lists "$89 shipping anywhere in the lower 48 states".

Just a bit more of info for you. Happy New Year and happy shopping.

Paul, we have the Woodtek DD, and LOVE IT!. We had a small issue with it at the beginning, but now it's a real workhorse in our shop. Can't go wrong with Woodtek machines, IMHO. If we were shopping for a new one, the Steel City would be sitting in our shop.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

Out of curiosity, why did you decide to go with a closed end instead of an open end. I have a performax and it works very well

Paul

I have the Steel City 26" dual drum sander. Great machine. It does exactly what it's supposed too. Only thing I would change is for the conveyer to start independent of the drum.

Word to the wise. If you're looking at this size drum sander. You need some good dust collection capability. I have the Jet DC1100 and it's not enough for the Steel City.

Quote Originally Posted by keith ouellette View Post
    Out of curiosity, why did you decide to go with a closed end instead of an open end. I have a performax and it works very well

Keith.

The biggest benefit is in time saved, and the ability to put heavier material through. I have a Performax 16-32 also, and it's no comparison to a dual drum sander. The Performax is still a nice sander though, so don't get me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by keith ouellette View Post
    In looking through the old posts I did find many good comments on the open end sanders, in particular the one you have. I also saw a few negative comments also, maybe true, maybe not. From what I've read it appears the closed in sanders are somewhat of a step up, I don't know for sure because I have never used either. Thats the main reason I started this thread in the hope that it would spark more conversation on the subject.

I think everyone would agree that a wide belt sander is top of the line in the sanding world but I really can't justify that kind of expense right now. I can easily afford and justify a closed end drum, I just want to make sure I get the right one. If you have had experince with both and feel the open end drum is better please fill me in.

I have the Shop Fox, 26". I is a great machine for those not wanting to spend the money on a belt sander. It takes some getting used to, but is a great time and work saver.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    Paul, we have the Woodtek DD, and LOVE IT!. We had a small issue with it at the beginning, but now it's a real workhorse in our shop. Can't go wrong with Woodtek machines, IMHO. If we were shopping for a new one, the Steel City would be sitting in our shop.

Nancy
    Nancy, one of your old posts was what steered me toward the woodtek. It does have the best overall price as I'm sure you saw on my list. The Woodtek, Steel City, Accura & General all look really similar. I noticed the Accura is the only one of the above 4 that has a 5HP motor, I was wondering how much of a benefit that would be. Also please elaborate as to why you would prefer the SC over the Woodtek.

Oliver also has one with oscillating drum(s)

Tony Joyce

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Paul

I have the Steel City 26" dual drum sander. Great machine. It does exactly what it's supposed too. Only thing I would change is for the conveyer to start independent of the drum.

Word to the wise. If you're looking at this size drum sander. You need some good dust collection capability. I have the Jet DC1100 and it's not enough for the Steel City.
    Thanks Mike, I was planning on going with one of the better cyclones, probably Onieda or Clear Vue.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Greathouse View Post
    I can easily afford and justify a closed end drum, I just want to make sure I get the right one.
    Then you should also look at the Woodmaster 2675. The Woodmaster is the drum sander you'll find in more commercial shops than any other. It is built like a tank.
    I bought mine used for $1500. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=60816

I have had both the open end Delta and the closed end Woodmaster, there's no comparison between the two machines, IMHO.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    Oliver also has one with oscillating drum(s)

Tony Joyce

Tony

Checked out their website, looks like one of those "If you have to ask you can't afford it" kind of companies. How much do they go for?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Greathouse View Post
    Nancy, one of your old posts was what steered me toward the woodtek. It does have the best overall price as I'm sure you saw on my list. The Woodtek, Steel City, Accura & General all look really similar. I noticed the Accura is the only one of the above 4 that has a 5HP motor, I was wondering how much of a benefit that would be. Also please elaborate as to why you would prefer the SC over the Woodtek.
    Paul, PM sent.

Nancy
    Nancy Laird
    Owner - D&N Specialties, Rio Rancho, New Mexico
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!
    Lasers - ULS M-20 (20W) & M-360 (40W), Corel X4 and X3
    SMC is user supported. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php