Thread: "Ignore" function and subforums

43 Norway Spruce Street, Stittsville, Ont, Canada

"Ignore" function and subforums

Is it possible to put particular subforums on ignore so that I do not see the new posts from them? I would like to be able to view (on an ongoing basis) the new posts from only certain forums. I had a look thru' the control panel, but nothing jumps out at me.

thank you

cheers

Mark

Not an official answer here, just my way around it - I use the "Quick Links" - "Mark Forums Read" function to mark everything read before I leave.

The next time I come in, I don't use the "New Posts" function, I go to the forum I want to see and it will have all the new threads I haven't seen highlighted. It allows me to quickly pick out what I want and then mark them all read again.

Another option - you can double click on the ICON for the Forum of choice and it will mark all Threads in that forum marked. I use this when I want to skip to another forum, but check back before I leave to see if the icon has changed back to have new posts again...

My 2 cents...
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

I do not believe that we have the feature you are asking for at the present time...at least I cannot find it. But I don't use the "new posts" function...I just visit the individual forums I like to read as Steve does.

Jim
    SMC Moderator
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley View Post
    Is it possible to put particular subforums on ignore so that I do not see the new posts from them? I would like to be able to view (on an ongoing basis) the new posts from only certain forums. I had a look thru' the control panel, but nothing jumps out at me.

thank you

cheers
    John, the way I handle it is with the search function. On my desktop (windows) I have a shortcut with the property:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?do=getnew&include=ForumNumberList

for example, to get the new posts in this forum, the ForumNumberList would include the number 7

So the question becomes what are the numbers of the forums (fora?) that you want. When you are in the forum, look at the address bar in your browser. It will contain something that looks like: ".../forumdisplay.php?f=7". The number is the number of the forum.

So, to see the new posts in say the "Forum Tech Support", use 7. For the "Lumber Yard", 39. For "General Woodworking and Power Tools, 3, etc.

So a search string that would show new posts in Tech Support, Lumber Yard, and General Woodworking, the search string would look like:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?do=getnew&include=3,7,39
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

43 Norway Spruce Street, Stittsville, Ont, Canada
    Hey guys, thank you for the replies!!

Tom, your way looks like exactly what I want. There are three forums that I want to include and finding the forums numbers and setting up the bookmark will be a cinch with your illustrated help.

cheers and thanks again !!