Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Under concrete floor dust collection system (pics)

floor covers

Tim,

You are exactly right about the covers. They are there so I have a flat floor just incase I moved a machine. When I built the shop I didn't have my WBS then and the cover was there for obvious reasons.

Dave

Smile Thanks Dave

I still would like to know the construction products and methods for the sumps.

Thanks Brad Beam

Dave,

I did something similar, running a single 6" PVC pipe under my floor. It services my TS, planer and jointer, which are grouped together near the middle of the shop.

One unanticipated problem I had during installation was dealing with the pipe's efforts to float in the wet concrete. I considered filling it with water, to be pumped out later, but decided to instead to pin it down with wooden stakes and twine. Did you have any floatation problems?

I also installed power and hot water radiant heating in the floor.

Cary

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
    Is the garage on a hill so you have walk-in access, or did you lug all the machinery upstairs? Nice job on the DC pipes on the floor; those hatches are pretty slick.
    He has a Winch to raise and lower tools. Here he is loading a 15 inch planer in my truck I bought it last week

That's an awesome DC setup and a radiant floor heating system to boot. Man am I jealous!!!!!

6. Hello Dave.
    I have an Oneida overhead system in my current shop; am moving to a new shop (designed for me, by me) and will move my Oneida cyclone to the new location (unless i sell my current property (at 7,800 ft elevation near Our/Telluride Colorado) "as-is".
    Everything you describe/discuss makes sense, including conduit for electrical; but one detail with which I am struggling, is the ports (or port boxes) cast in the floor.
    Did you find some off-the-shelf options somewhere.
    Since I don't often go looking at websites/blogs please respond to: fmarti@ridgwayco.net; and include others in the response if you choose.
    Thanks,
    Felix

Asking for a personal response does not help others who may have similar questions.

AND seeing this is a 12 year old thread...good luck!

But one thing I have come to realize in life is permanent decisions ARE permanent.

I would never bury my dust collector piping in concrete.

Just me I suppose...
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    But one thing I have come to realize in life is permanent decisions ARE permanent.

I would never bury my dust collector piping in concrete.

Just me I suppose...
    not just you. if I were to have the opportunity to build a shop like that, I'd probably engineer it to run the pipes and power under a raised floor
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

"run the pipes and power under a raised floor"
    Working in IT, that was my first thought too, but the concrete will sound insulate the pipes MUCH better than a raised floor.

Is that rebar in the 3rd/2nd to last pic, or a heated floor??

My main piping has been under concrete since 1997 or so, and I haven't ever regretted it. I would do it again if need be.