Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Putting treads and risers on existing staircase

Putting treads and risers on existing staircase

Hi,
    I need some advice from the experts on this forum. I"m having prefinished oak hardwood flooring put in my house and have decided to rip up the rugs on the staircase and put treads and risers to match. A few questions.
    1. Should the treads and risers be independent of each other to allow for expansion?

2. I would like to paint the risers white. Should I just use oak or some other material?

3 Should I use some kind of mastic? Or just wood glue at the front of the tread and middle of the riser to allow for expansion

4. What kind of fasteners should I use?

5. Should the tread and riser be cut slightly smaller (maybe a sixteenth of an inch) to allow for seasonal expansion and contraction?

Thanks for your time,
    Dave
    Last edited by Dave Malen; 11-28-2007 at 8:02 AM. Reason: tried to add ? symbol

I built a staircase a few years ago. theres a fine homebuilding that has a good article about the how to. My treads are fastened to the stringers but not the risers. The glue is in the dados with the wedges. If i remember right its a pretty tight fit. let the lumber acclimate to the house for a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Malen View Post
    Hi,
    I need some advice from the experts on this forum. I"m having prefinished oak hardwood flooring put in my house and have decided to rip up the rugs on the staircase and put treads and risers to match. A few questions.
    1. Should the treads and risers be independent of each other to allow for expansion?

2. I would like to paint the risers white. Should I just use oak or some other material?

3 Should I use some kind of mastic? Or just wood glue at the front of the tread and middle of the riser to allow for expansion

5. Should the tread and riser be cut slightly smaller (maybe a sixteenth of an inch) to allow for seasonal expansion and contraction?

Thanks for your time,
    Dave
    1. Use glue (construction adhesive) and brad nails to attach the treads. I THINK construction adhesive dries rubbery and should give enough to allow for expansion and contraction.

2. Use ply for the risers (no worries about expansion here)

3. If you are only going to glue the tread in one place glue the back. Glue several inches and be sure you get good adhesion.

4. Brad nails (they are easy to hide if set below the surface and you are just using them as "clamps"

5. No. The riser is ply and the tread can expand and contract over the lip.
    America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    C. S. Lewis

James ,Randy

Thanks for your replies. James yours answers make a lot of sense. I'll probably use 1/4 inch ply for the risers and 4/4 oak for treads. Your suggestion to use construction adhesive sounds good. Maybe all over to keep things solid.

Dave

Thanks for your replies. James yours answers make a lot of sense. I'll probably use 1/4 inch ply for the risers and 4/4 oak for treads. Your suggestion to use construction adhesive sounds good. Maybe all over to keep things solid.

Dave
    Well your situation sounds like it might be a bit different from what my wife would like to do, but close enough to ask this question.
    Is the wood flooring you are having installed also 4/4 ?
    Will the 4/4 treads leave you with uneven rise between the first, last and middle steps?
    We were thinking about ripping the carpet off the stairs and putting wood down, but we were not going to do the whole floor, upstairs or down, Just the stairway. We also weren't planning on replacing the "construction" grade treads under the carpet. I was a bit concerned about using any wood much thicker than what the carpet is, or about 1/2", 3/4" max. Otherwise I end up with a taller step at the bottom and a shorter one at the top up to the carpeted upper floor.
    The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
    - Marcus Aurelius ---------------------------------------- ------------- [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hi,

Thanks for your time,
    Dave
    Here is some answers to your questions.
    1) The treads and risers and also the stringers should all be firmly attached to each other. Wood rubbing on wood is the cause of squeaks in staircases and very distracting.
    2) Never paint oak, it will always look like painted oak.
    3) PL construction adhesive works very well.
    4) I like to use 3" screw and cover them with face grain plugs.
    5) Don't cut pieces smaller than need be, once again, it makes squeaks.

The biggest problem, as David pointed out, is changing the rise on the first and last step. If 3/4" is going in the foyer, you will be alright adding 3/4" to each step, until you get to the top. The top step will now be 3/4" shorter than the rest which is a dangerous situation, unless you carry the new flooring onto the upstairs balcony.

Richard

7. The way Richard describes is pretty much the way I do it. A lot of times I'll use C & better pine for the risers if they're to paint, and it turns out pretty nice. As far as the 3/4 you come up short on the final step, you could use a piece of landing tread on the 2nd floor and just bring the carpet up to it. It's what I've done in the past, because few people we work for put wood floors upstairs.

RE: replies

Thanks for your responses,
    David,
    The manufactured flooring is actually 3/4 thick hardwood. I'm buying 4/4 oak and planing it down to 3/4 of an inch.
    Richard,
    First off - I admire your work, shows great craftmanship. Thanks again for your comments. What material would you suggest for the risers?
    Charles,
    I'm having the second floor hallway done with the 3/4 inch manufactured hardwood as well. So I shouldn't have a problem with the height of the top riser.

Best Regards,
    Dave

Richard,
    What material would you suggest for the risers?
    Dave
    I like to use 1/2" Birch ply wood. It paints well and is stable.

Richard

Thanks

Richard for your advice!

Dave

Dave, keep us posted on your progress and results. I'm planning an almost identical project at our house.

I did the same project about 3 years ago. We used poplar for the risers, nailed in place, and construction adhesive for the treads. So far everything has been solid.

Good question. I would like to add wood treads to my stairs as well. I have some questions too
    so when you take off the carpeting, how much do you account for that thickness?
    Is it better to just take off the "sub-floor" treads and only have hardwood.
    I would like to leave teh plywood tread and install flooring over them. It appears to be within code, except I don't know what teh requirement is for step to step rise variation. Any one else?
    Gary

just finished oak stairs

Hi,

I just finished the project you're working on. So far, so good, wife is pleased, no squeaks. Just repaired wall, isn't shown in these pics.

Here's a couple of pictures, I hope the links work;

http://members.cox.net/jimhart9/P1010100.JPG
    http://members.cox.net/jimhart9/P1010098.JPG
    http://members.cox.net/jimhart9/P1010097.JPG

Used oak planed to 3/4 with a piece glued to the nose creating 5/4 nosing rounded over.

Risers are 1/4 oak plywood. Working from the bottom up, riser is installed with liquid nails and brads, then tread lip sits over the riser. Tread is trimmed 1/8" short of the back of the next step. 1/4" riser sits flush on top of the tread, covering the 1/8" expansion gap.

Top stair is 1/2 depth tread to give continuity to design and stair height.

Inlay is walnut to give the stairs some definition.

Jim
    Last edited by James Hart; 11-29-2007 at 1:54 PM.

We left the plywood tread in place, added a smooth riser (poplar) from the top of the lower tread and flush with the top of the upper tread--the plywood tread was covered by the riser and the riser edge was visible from above. After all this was complete, we then laid the mahogany (or oak) treads.

We started the tread with a dry-fit. First, a rabetted bull-nose strip that covered the exposed edge of the riser and hung down about 3/8". Then, tongue-and-grove slats all the way back to the next riser. This meant that we had to rip the backmost strip to width. Once the fit was right, we removed the strips and bullnose, shot a ton of construction adhesive and carefully laid the strips back in place, this time starting with the ripped backmost strip. With everything in place, and the seams blue-taped every few inches, we piled a stack of books on the step and double-checked the back seam (a few treads drifted forward during the process, so we had to slide them back ever so slightly while still wet.