Thread: Unisaw Top Replacement?

Question Unisaw Top Replacement?

I acquired an aging Unisaw a while back that has a very beat up cast iron top. There are quite a few scratches, a crack, and some dinks. One of the wings look like someone used it as a workbench and hammered on it.

Aside from purchasing a new Unisaw top for about $500 from Delta, does anyone know of a low cost replacement top? I know that I can get it ground, but they'd have to grind a lot to get out the dinks and dings, and then there's some welding to do.

Does anyone know of a low cost replacement top? Do any of the clones offer tops that fit?

I'm not worried so much about original as I am that it's functional.

My $0.02:

Find an old-timer to weld the top (yes, cast iron can be welded by those who know how), and have it ground until flat.
    Disregard the scratches and dings left behind. They don't hurt the function.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Strebler View Post
    I acquired an aging Unisaw a while back that has a very beat up cast iron top. There are quite a few scratches, a crack, and some dinks. One of the wings look like someone used it as a workbench and hammered on it.

Aside from purchasing a new Unisaw top for about $500 from Delta, does anyone know of a low cost replacement top? I know that I can get it ground, but they'd have to grind a lot to get out the dinks and dings, and then there's some welding to do.

Does anyone know of a low cost replacement top? Do any of the clones offer tops that fit?

I'm not worried so much about original as I am that it's functional.
    I used my random orbital sander with a fairly rough grit and sanded the top of my unisaw. I used WD 40 as a lubricant while sanding. It really helped to recondition the surface.

Robert...just talked to a buddy that buys and sells used equip. He just bought a Unisaw that is for parts. He says it has a good top. I'm supposed to see him tomorrow, he is in town loading, and if you are interested he will take a pic and email to you. He wants $100 plus shipping from CA for it.

Let me know if you are interested.

Doug

Doug, If the top is in good shape, I'm definitely interested. Thanks very much!