Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Something Cool for ADA Sign Makers

Don't Other Programs Already Do This

I thought that Flexisign Pro 8 already had this feature. I don't own a laser yet but according to the manual it is possible to cut this without having to drill or burn holes and insert balls. The laser cuts the background out and leaves the points high.

Kevin

Kevin,

There are some high end programs that offer this feature built-in I am told. Aaron has created something that really works well and is inexpensive that works in Corel Draw which most of us already own and use on a daily basis.

Aaron has been working on his program and has written a new engine with some improvements. I don't know what his timetable is for making his new Braille Interpreter available but I will probably be the first to do a live test and will let everyone know

The problem I have seen with signs that don't use Braille balls is the the tops are rarely round which is required by the ADA. Also the area clear isn't very smooth and I doubt it would meet the same quality standards that are possible by inserting smooth acrylic balls. I know it is a little more work but the results are worth the effort. All of the signs at CNU were made the way you suggested, we are changing them now to a more attractive sign design that is also more durable.

Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-08-2008 at 10:17 AM.

braille

Hi Keith

My sign shop is still in the infant stage but is growing every day.
    this is something that i'm sure is needed and will be an asset
    I'm in
    Just let me know how much and when
    ken
    Epilog Laser, CNC equipment, Corel X3 & 4, Aspire

Interested...

Have not done any braile work as of yet, but definately interested... I too am not sure how it is done... Do you laser away the entire backround to leave just the braile "bumps" ... I noticed mention of gluing little balls into the holes... Is this how it's done, on another option? Sorry but I must plead total ignorance in this type of signage production... but if I can do the work I am in for a few bucks to make life easier and I would rather a friend of the creek get the money...
    Brent Vander Weil
    Epilog 35W Mini
    Graphtec CE5000-60

ADA Door Signs

Brent,

There are many ways of making Braille signs. The technique I am using is based on 1/2" thick Corian plaques, I engrave the text and Braille holes to 1/32" deep then glue the letters into the cavities with CA glue. The letters and numbers are laser cut from 1/16" thick plastic sheet, the ADA standard requires the tactile text and numbers to be raised 1/32" from the plaque surface. The Braille balls are basically 1/16" diameter acrylic balls, I generally glue them into the holes using craft glue, CA glue chemically reacts and will melt the acrylic balls.

The picture below isn't the best quality but it might help you visualize this style of door signs. The Braille balls are clear and almost invisible, they are glowing in the picture from the reflection of the camera flash.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 03-13-2008 at 3:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Brent,

There are many ways of making Braille signs. The technique I am using is based on 1/2" thick Corian plaques, I engrave the text and Braille holes to 1/32" deep then glue the letters into the cavities with CA glue. The letters and numbers are laser cut from 1/16" thick plastic sheet, the ADA standard requires the tactile text and numbers to be raised 1/32" from the plaque surface. The Braille balls are basically 1/16" diameter acrylic balls, I generally glue them into the holes using craft glue, CA glue chemically reacts and will melt the acrylic balls.

The picture below isn't the best quality but it might help you visualize this style of door signs. The Braille balls are clear and almost invisible, they are glowing in the picture from the reflection of the camera flash.
    You'll also notice that, in the picture above, the braille balls appear to be glowing.
    This effect is much more pronounced in person, but the camera was able to capture it to some degree.

The acrylic balls actually produce a very appealing shimmering effect when you walk
    by them- a small detail to enhance already nice signs, and add an extra wow factor.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Any news on the release of the translator? I would be willing to pitch in.

Keith has gotten me interested in signage and I would like to know if this has or will happen?
    Lonny

Epilog Legend 36EXT 60W - Corel Draw X3 - Photograv 3

Aaron has given up on his new translator, I think he ran into some kind of legal issue. I still think that his script that uses the free NIB translator is valuable, it is the one I use every day and it works perfectly.

I have asked (even begged) Aaron to sell his script here at The Creek for 30 to 40 bucks, it is worth every penny. I rely on his script for every ADA sign I make, it is a one click menu button that pops up a box that you just type in the text or numbers you want. When you hit the OK button the grade 2 braille pops into the Corel Drawing...it can't get any easier. If you want to edit braille that is already in your drawing you select the Braille and then click on the Braille button, you can then enter your new text or numbers.

I have suggested that Aaron create a new Forum here and give access to the forum to people who purchase his script. This would make it easy for him to post upgrades and instructions. Aaron can also customize his script if necessary, he did it for me when we were testing the script last year.

If you want Aaron's script I suggest you bug him to death by sending him Private Messages. It wouldn't take him but a few minutes to place it in a Forum here and make it available.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-26-2008 at 10:53 AM.

I PM'd him yesterday begging and pleading and even offering to make a donation to the doctorate fund.

Hopefully he will take your suggestions Keith.

Aaron has given up on his new translator, I think he ran into some kind of legal issue. I still think that his script that uses the free NIB translator is valuable, it is the one I use every day and it works perfectly.

I have asked (even begged) Aaron to sell his script here at The Creek for 30 to 40 bucks, it is worth every penny. I rely on his script for every ADA sign I make, it is a one click menu button that pops up a box that you just type in the text or numbers you want. When you hit the OK button the grade 2 braille pops into the Corel Drawing...it can't get any easier. If you want to edit braille that is already in your drawing you select the Braille and then click on the Braille button, you can then enter your new text or numbers.

I have suggested that Aaron create a new Forum here and give access to the forum to people who purchase his script. This would make it easy for him to post upgrades and instructions. Aaron can also customize his script if necessary, he did it for me when we were testing the script last year.

If you want Aaron's script I suggest you bug him to death by sending him Private Messages. It wouldn't take him but a few minutes to place it in a Forum here and make it available.

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SKYPE# : CLASSICMARINE1

I just talked to Aaron on the phone and he has agreed to setup a new Forum here for his script. He said it might take a couple of days but he would make his script available ASAP.

Aaron will setup a PayPal link which will give you access to the files in his new Forum.
    I'm sure any income he can realize from his script will be welcome, it costs money to be a full time student

I've seen the script, it really is excellent.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Good news.

Thank you for following up. Would be good to help out a fellow creeker.

I would be interested.
    Doug

Equipment: Universal 35W Laser, Roland Vinyl cutter, Roland SC-540 54" Solvent Print / Cut, HP L25500 60" Latex Printer,
    Seal 6500 Dual Heat 60" Laminator, Kodak 9810 8x10 Dye Sub, Kodak 6850 6x8 Dye sub, Nisca Color Plastic Card Printer,
    16x20 automatic Heat Press

Is it going to be a new forum or a sub-forum of this one just curious as to where to watch for it appear !

I just talked to Aaron on the phone and he has agreed to setup a new Forum here for his script. He said it might take a couple of days but he would make his script available ASAP.

Aaron will setup a PayPal link which will give you access to the files in his new Forum.
    I'm sure any income he can realize from his script will be welcome, it costs money to be a full time student

Support the Creek Please
    DONATE ! .

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SKYPE# : CLASSICMARINE1