Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Safety Rules

Shop Safety Rules

Greg Cole's recent post (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost...67&postcount=1) sent me on a search for a thread dedicated to shop safety rules. Couldn't find one, so here goes.

Everyone knows Norm's safety speech:

Before using any power tools let's take a moment to talk about shop safety. Be sure to read, understand, and follow all the safety rules that come with your power tools. Knowing how to use your power tools properly will greatly reduce the risk of personal injury. And remember, there is no more important rule than to wear these, safety glasses.

It would be good to hear any additional "rules of thumb" you have picked up over the years. Mine have been:

1) Stay alert. If you are distracted, worried, or angry, take a break. If you start feeling tired, call it a day.
    2) Whenever practical use a hand tool.
    3) Set up a hands free zone around every spinning blade. Unplug the tool before letting your fingers in that zone.
    4) If a fixture, jig, push stick, or push block, would make an operation safer, then use it.

After Greg's post I added one of my kitchen rules to my shop rule list:

5) NEVER catch a dropped tool! Just get out of the way, fast.

What are your tips?
    Last edited by Danny Thompson; 12-18-2007 at 10:06 AM.

Always take a 'lessons learned' approach, not just from your mistakes or close calls, but from other's. I, as well as most everyone, have had close calls. Always just sit back after a mistake or close call and evaluate how to safely do it next time.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Another rule to pass on to your wife and children is to wait to talk to the person making a cut while a machine is running and to wait until the machine is turned off and stops spinning or moving.
    Michael Gibbons

I think I like opening day of deer season more than any udder day of the year. It's like Christmas wit guns. - Remnar Soady

That bear is going to eat him alive. Go help him! That bear doesn't need any help! - The Three Stooges

Hey Danny,
    Can I get in on the copyright on #5? How's a 50%-50% deal sound??? Just have to tag an ad on the thread and every viewer will pay us...LOLOLOLOL
    Seriously, I am hoping to get some others to share here, it's something we all think about but obviously don't talk about enough by the lack of finding 1 dedicated thread about it here. I do preach to my 6 year old CONSTANTLY that "see how this cuts wood, just imagine what it would do to your finger".
    My general rule of thumb (no not left pinky that's missing the tip...) is to keep my digits as far away from the sharp things by the length of that digit, but that's not possible on a jointer as you hands are a mere thickness of the wood away from the cutter. Having large hands, I usually keep them 5-6" from the blades etc.
    Situational awareness of everything in your immediate area. And think things through, before, during and after any specific operation. Example....Ever rip a sheet of ply & not have a full 8' on the outfeed....? DAMKHIT.
    Hoping to see others thoughts, practices etc.

Greg

Mike,
    Thats a good one, I have chastised my wife & the boy for opening my shop door and yelling at me over whatever I am trying to do. And NEVER approach me while doing something, even if I can see you coming. But I am guilty of scaring the heck out of LOML when she's got her hair dryer in her ear.

It's things like this we all should read more than once and share. Or else you might be typing one handed for a week er so.

Greg

If your shop in in the garage and you are in area with kids in the neighbourhood keep the door closed while you are using power tools.

The only time I have been cut by my TS was in my old shop when I was cutting some 2x4s for a bench and had the door open. The neighbourhood kids were playing outside and one of them fell and let out a scream and I looked up....

Marc Adams is doing a series on this in Popular Woodworker. He has a 3"/12" rule...hands never within 3" of a cutting blade or bit, and working on anything less than 12" ask "is this safe". Smart. He also has some good tips in safety devices, check it out:

http://popularwoodworking.com/articledisplay?id=14882

Blog Entries
    I would add that if you feel uncomfortable about a cut or operation you are doing that is the time to stop and find another way to do it. Listen to that little voice in your head that says "Hey this feels unsafe"...............it probably is.

I've done that a few times and am always amazed at how safe the alternate way turns out to be and how much better I feel doing it that way than the way I started out trying. I've also not listened to the voice once or twice and paid a price. Yes I still have all my digits and they are all full length and functional.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee, agreed.... I try to rationalize risky cuts.... is an extra 30 minutes setting up a jig or push system worth a finger? When I was younger, the answer was, nah.... now that I am older, and have experienced too much pain, agony and time in emergency rooms, the answer is, YES.

Also, a good friend just chopped through 3 fingers on his TS...they were dangling by the skin. His mistake was one that tricked me a few times...if you wear bifocal or reading glasses, beware of using them when your fingers are near a moving blade. When switching between the magnification and naked eye viewing, we can be fooled by distances.... and we are only talking inches for a disaster to happen.

I try also to push the 3" rule to a 5" rule. And of course, the obvious stuff, always leave the blade guard on when you can, always use a splitter, never stand in the path of a kick back, be sure there is no scrap wood on the TS when you turn it on, be sure your work piece and cut-off piece is always supported after the cut.... and with hand power tools, never start a tool with the cutting surface lodged on to the workpiece. Even a biscuit joiner can mess your wrist up....

* Stay warm. In an unheated shop in winter, numb fingers don't grip well.

* Keep a good grip on lumber as you're feeding it to a machine, so you have complete control of it. Those grippy cotton-and-rubber gloves are a great help.

This is what happens

Below is a picture of what happens when you violate rule # 1. I was angry, carrying on a mental conversation with the person I was angry at, and distracted.
    Piece of a 4 X 4 kicked back right between the eyes. Good thing I was wearing safety glasses. The skin damage was done by the glasses.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Paul Muhlstadt; 12-18-2007 at 3:54 PM. Reason: add picture

* Never wear loose clothing.

6) A sharp tool is a safe tool.

7) A clean work area is a safe work area.

8) Don't forget about the safety of good lighting.

9) Always have a communication device in your shop to call for help.

10) Make sure there is adequate infeed/outfeed support for the piece your are cutting with any tool.

never wear gloves when using power tools. They can suck your hand into a tool, this is like wearing loose fitting clothing.

Keep tools sharp. Never use dull tools

Never cut toward yourself. carving knives are an exception but you should protect yourself. Never hold a workpiece in front of a chisel blade.

Blog Entries
    Make a conscious decision to use a tool correctly every time you pick it up, put it down or turn it on. Sometimes we think we are too familiar with a tool so we use it in our subconscious incorrectly. I nipped the tip of a finger on the router table last x-mas day. I've never looked at my router table the same since.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.