Thread: #2 Deciding what I should get for X-mas - Veneer Press

#2 Deciding what I should get for X-mas - Veneer Press

For the next year I would like to get into veneering. I am looking at the following systems.

http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?fam...oductid=147849

or

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...50,43298,43314

Assuming the LV system works reasonably well, I could get this AND something else (Smooth Plane or mortiser or ect.). I have read mixed reviews on this system.

Thoughts?

Tim
    Wood works well with winter

Tim,You might check out Joe Woodworkers web site for a veneer press a lot of good info there when it comes to presses and what you might need...
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

The muscle-powered system has seen bad reception in the online forums. Apparently it takes too long to pump down -- like a half hour of continuous pumping to clear a small bag. I've used a friend's Woodcraft system, and it works well.

added later... the www.joewoodworker.com site has a review of the muscle-powered one called Roarockit in the Articles section.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 12-17-2007 at 11:46 AM.

I have used the manual system with good success...but it is a long process. To shorten the process I hook up my shop vac's 1-1/4" extention hose to the bag and it take out most of the air in about 30 secs or so. Then I use the wine bottle pump that you see in the pic to finish it off (usually a good minute or two of pumping). I am upgrading to the joe woodworker version as soon as he gets the large bags available again. I went to order last night and the 4X8 bag is out of stock until January. However if you think the 4X4 bag will work it is in stock as well as several custom bags. You will aslo be getting a better system (quality pump) for the same or slightly more money.

Another plug for JoeWoodworker.com and his associated store site. Very nice to work with and great advise.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I resently went throught the same evaluation process. Was going to just go the roararockit manual kit, but the more I looked into the set-ups on the JoeWooder site the more convinced I became that I would evenutually want to incorporate quite a bit of veneer press work in the future.

I ended up ordering all the hardware to make up the V2 venturi set-up (minus the stuff I had laying around the garage or could easily buy at the local hardware store) as well as a 4X4 bag and some miscellaneous glue and accessories. It all arrived very prompty and packaged extremely well. If you do a search on the archived threads of SawMillCreek I think you'll find that his kits are reviewed very highly. (I have no association with this business)

Both boxes are currently sitting under the tree (closet gloat) and I can't wait to put the system together over the holiday vacation!! (when I do I'll post some pictures) I bought a bunch of walnut burl veneer off the 'bay for a coffee table project I've already lined out. If you already have an air compressor in your shop you might want to consider this option.

http://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/v2-about.htm

Jim in Idaho

I should say that I have looked at this system from Joe's site. I have no desire to build anything. The biggest reason to get the other system I mentioned is that I can get it locally in Canada (and hence get it for Christmas!). If someone can give me a compelling reason to get the system from Joe, I am prepared to wait.

If you've never done any veneering, don't buy a bag yet. You need to start with some small projects and you can press them with a couple of torsion boxes that are fairly cheap to make.

Once you see if you like veneering (and can do it well) you can buy a vacuum system. And when you buy a vacuum system, get a big bag and a pump with a decent capacity. That way you won't buy twice.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Dorcas View Post
    I should say that I have looked at this system from Joe's site. I have no desire to build anything. The biggest reason to get the other system I mentioned is that I can get it locally in Canada (and hence get it for Christmas!). If someone can give me a compelling reason to get the system from Joe, I am prepared to wait.
    The system from woodcraft and that one from joe look to be quite similar. It isn't exactly an apples-to-apples comparison in that one includes the bag while the other doesn't. But they both have name-brand continuous-operation vacuum pumps rated at 1 cfm or so, and that's the heart of the system. Delivery time may well be the deciding factor for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    The system from woodcraft and that one from joe look to be quite similar. It isn't exactly an apples-to-apples comparison in that one includes the bag while the other doesn't. But they both have name-brand continuous-operation vacuum pumps rated at 1 cfm or so, and that's the heart of the system. Delivery time may well be the deciding factor for you.
    I think when you add the bag from Joe's it's about the same and hence the delivery time definitely plays a factor!

I'm like you Tom, I wasn't in the mood to build anything either. I have the setup from Woodcraft and am very satisfied with it.

Like the other Mike stated, you might want to start with some small projects, like a box lid. You can go through the trouble of making male and female forms for any curved veneering; lot of work but it works. And you may have to invest in a lot more clamps for this type veneering.
    I have the system from Woodcraft and so far so good. I have only done flat work for some table tops, but I like it. It is a great way to get into veneering with a vacuum system for a moderate cost.
    Good luck and watch those fingers.

Decision Made

I opted to get the ready made system and stay away from the manual system or the home built one. In the end I was very tempted to make one once I read the instructions from Joe's site. For the same money I could have made a vacuum system that would have had more capacity long term. However, I didn't feel like waiting for the parts then putting it all together.

Strangely enough when I finally made the decision to buy the system, and went down to Black Forest Woods to buy it, they had sold out. *$&#)*$)(#! I have to say thanks to Keith for inquiring with one of the owners who had one on hold. Turns out they didn't need it before Christmas. Looks like I will be getting up early on Christmas