Thread: SawMill Creek Server Problems Last Night

SawMill Creek Server Problems Last Night

Last night we lost one of our hard drives. Aaron Koehl was working on the problem until 2:30am, if you were visiting The Creek last night you probably know that it went up and down a few times as Aaron was working on the problem. Aaron performed a total backup and did some other maintenance chores while our server was down. Although we lost a hard drive our server has a drive array so no data was lost. We will be acquiring another drive this morning and will be installing it tomorrow afternoon so don't be surprised tomorrow if the server is off-line for a few minutes to replace the failed hard drive.

Although we are able to hot swap the hard drives we won't, we will bring the server down to replace the drive that failed tomorrow.

Question Keith,

Did you loose any information on the drive? there is some new storage that is out or coming out from what I was told. I was talking to a PC - repair guy from the Geek Squad the other day and he told me that they are coming out with a " memory bank" or all memory "solid state" to replace hard drives and they are coming out in the very near future - have you heard of this new storage device- no more hard drives- I like the idea- no more waiting for things to load. I think that's the direction it's going from talking with him.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Last night we lost one of our hard drives. Aaron Koehl was working on the problem until 2:30am, if you were visiting The Creek last night you probably know that it went up and down a few times as Aaron was working on the problem. Aaron performed a total backup and did some other maintenance chores while our server was down. Although we lost a hard drive our server has a drive array so no data was lost. We will be acquiring another drive this morning and will be installing it tomorrow afternoon so don't be surprised tomorrow if the server is off-line for a few minutes to replace the failed hard drive.

Although we are able to hot swap the hard drives we won't, we will bring the server down to replace the drive that failed tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Weick View Post
    Did you loose any information on the drive? there is some new storage that is out or coming out from what I was told. I was talking to a PC - repair guy from the Geek Squad the other day and he told me that they are coming out with a " memory bank" or all memory "solid state" to replace hard drives and they are coming out in the very near future - have you heard of this new storage device- no more hard drives- I like the idea- no more waiting for things to load. I think that's the direction it's going from talking with him.
    Brian

Brian, those new hard drivers are flash ram based, like a usb key. While good for some things, they do have limited read/write cycles. So we will have a while before they completely replace a hard drive.

Keith, our of curiousity, what are the specs of the pc? Is your raid array scsi, sata, or ide now as performance of those drives have improved? (Wondering because I have been wanting to build basically a nas/backup server and haven't found what I was looking for.)

Hey thanks for the update Keith. I was on last night when all that was happening. I guessed there was some maintenance going on in the wee hours which is the best time to do it.

Sorry to hear it was hardware issues on not just some tweaking on the system.

Special thanks to Aaron for getting it fixed in a hurry!
    One good turn deserves another