Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chopping out Dovetail waste

Chopping out Dovetail waste

How do you keep the back of the dovetail from blowing out when you are chopping out the waste. I've finally gotten to the point where the dovetails fit fairly well, but I'm getting chip out on the back side.

One other thing, there was an article in Fine Woodworking about clamping several drawer sides down at once, kinda like a stair step, and chopping out the dovetails on all of them without having to move and reclamp them. How do you keep from marking up the drawer slides with chisel marks?
    Dennis

Simple enough---don't chop all the way through. Only chop in approximately 1/2-way, then flip it over and finish from the back side.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Also, when you are close to the score line, do not place the chisel directly on the score line. Place it aprx 1/16th in front of and plunge it downward. The chisle will drift back toward the score line and make for an even tighter joint line.

DonnieR

I chop half way through on one side and then flip the work piece. Also, I was taught not to worry about any chip out that occurs. The strength of the glue joint is along the sides of the pins and tails. The end grain at the chip out doesn't give that much additional strength to the joint.

You do want a tight appearance to the joint and Mr. Raines suggestion to walk the chisel back to the line is what I was taught to do.
    Possumpoint

One more thing...work from the outside in. Meaning, make all the through cuts on the portion that will face outward....that way if you do get some chip out, it will be on the inside(drawer, case construction.....) so and so forth.

DonnieR

This is a recurrent problem when cutting dovetails, and there are several ways to handle it. When the bevel of the chisel is pounded into wood, it forces the chisel off of vertical, towars the back, and actually moves the chisel into and through the scribe line, which leave a joint which has a gap.
    1. Use a coping or fret saw, and cut the bulk of the waste out, to about 1/16", then pare the balance.
    2. Make a number of vertical cuts into the waste, stopping about 1/16" shy of the scribe line. The wate will come out quite efficiently, and you can, again, pare the last 1/16" to the line. I find that #2 is quicker since you already have the rip saw in your hand. I always try to pare the last bit, and the cut is quite clean, with no blow out.
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McDonaugh
    How do you keep the back of the dovetail from blowing out when you are chopping out the waste. I've finally gotten to the point where the dovetails fit fairly well, but I'm getting chip out on the back side.

One other thing, there was an article in Fine Woodworking about clamping several drawer sides down at once, kinda like a stair step, and chopping out the dovetails on all of them without having to move and reclamp them. How do you keep from marking up the drawer slides with chisel marks?
    Maybe I am confused, but are you chopping all the way through from just one side? If so, then you need to chop halfway through, then turn the board over, and chop halfway through to the other side.

Also, you want to end up with the "large" side of the waste face down when you finish it up, so the waste will not be forced against the sides of your pins when it finally breaks loose.

When you first start to chop, put your chisel right on your scribe line and make a very, very small chip. Then, the deeper you go, the bigger the chip can be.

I am not an expert, but took Kelly Mehler's class, and these are techniques he teaches.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Learning every day

Martin Shupe said:

"Maybe I am confused, but are you chopping all the way through from just one side? If so, then you need to chop halfway through, then turn the board over, and chop halfway through to the other side."

Hey, I'll be the first to admit that I did exactly what Dennis did when I first tried dovetails.

What seems so obvious now is often mysterious to the uninitiated. Does anyone remember when it wasn't clear which direction the chisel bevel should even face?

Everyone is giving great advice; the simplified answer is of course, don't chisel all the way through from one side. But don't assume anything. People are talking about walking the chisel up to the score line. That assumes the beginner is even using a score line. I remember when I didn't understand the importance of scoring the dovetail marks rather than using a pencil. It didn't occur to me that in addition to being more accurate, severing that first 1/64" of the wood fibers would itself reduce chipping and tearout.

But the really great thing about these basic questions is that even on things I think I understand cold, a little nugget comes along that I can add to my mental tool kit. Martin's reference to a small, small initial chip directly on the score line made me think of an illustration I saw once on exactly that aspect of dovetail technique. It didn't really click at the time, but it's suddenly clearer now, especially in the context of Dennis' initial question. So thank you Dennis and Martin.
    Marc

Yup I am chopping all the way through. I think I'm going to try to cut out most of the waste with a coping saw and finish by paring. Thanks for the help.
    Dennis

I haven't read him for quite some time, but I think it is Ian Kirby who makes this recommendation.
    Alan

Yup I am chopping all the way through. I think I'm going to try to cut out most of the waste with a coping saw and finish by paring. Thanks for the help.

I originally started by chopping all the waste, then switched to the coping saw method. I think you will like the results. As mentioned above, this process puts less pressure on the chisel blade so it doesn't get forced back into your shoulder line, making for cleaner joints......and I find it faster, too

Eric

Dennis

Here is a jig I made that can help you pare the shoulders of your dovetails. It makes it very easy to flip over the board and accurately pare/chop to the line from either side.

Keep in mind that you must:
    (1) chop halfway from each side
    (2) begin this cut a few mm in front of the shoulder line

Link to jig:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...&threadid=7221

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen
    Dennis

Here is a jig I made that can help you pare the shoulders of your dovetails. It makes it very easy to flip over the board and accurately pare/chop to the line from either side.

Keep in mind that you must:
    (1) chop halfway from each side
    (2) begin this cut a few mm in front of the shoulder line

Link to jig:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...&threadid=7221

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek,
    I like your jig and will probably try to build one when I get the time.

A question on how it's used, though...
    In the last picture where you say you are using it to measure and mark the pin board, are you using it to only mark the depth of the pins, thus forgoing the use of a marking gauge? If so, I assume you use the same technique when marking the base line of the tail board...clamp the board down with an overhang equal to the thickness of the board you are joining, and then score with a marking knife. You don't actually mark the pins with it in this configuration do you?

Thanks,
    Tom

Frank Klausz shows this technique in his video about hand-cutting dovetails. Although I have something from Time/Life that has him doing this, the more comprehensive video from Taunton looks like it has a lot more meat on this subject.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thats a nice looking jig Derek. I'll have to build something like it until I get the hang of it. Thanks.
    Dennis