Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie intro, and jigsaw question

Newbie intro, and jigsaw question

As I understand it, I should give a brief intro before recruiting the brain power of this group. It's a delight to find such a helpful group, and I've already learned a lot by lurking.

I'm relatively new to the world of real power tools, though I did a lot of fixer-upper work to some rental property in my former home of Orlando, circular saw/hammer type stuff. I once "helped" a friend build me two sets of oak bookshelves some 10 years ago in his workshop, and that planted the seed to have a similar setup myself one day.

So recently we moved into a new house here in Maine with plenty of storage space, and I took over the garage for my workshop. Honest, honey, I'll make sure everything is on wheels so it can slide out of the way for cars. It got out of control quick - I'm sure no one here can relate to that . I now have an X5 Unisaw, as well as a garage full of other goodies I'm thrilled to have available. One or two more selections and I need to quit building a shop and shop storage and start building some other projects!

Which leads to my question - the next tool I want to select is a replacement for my decrepit 20 year old Craftsman jigsaw. Though I favor Porter-Cable in nearly everything, I've read their jigsaw is the one tool they make that's pretty outgunned by the competition.

I'm leaning towards the Bosch 1584AVSK barrel-grip, but then I see they've come out with the 1590 series with a bigger motor, and I'd think the barrel grip version of the 1590 can't be far behind (don't know if it's worth waiting for over the 1584?). Two others have caught my eye - the Metabo I've seen at Woodcraft, and the Festool. Does anyone here have a recommendation among those three? And if I get recommendations for the Festool, any suggestions on where to order one would also be appreciated.

Sorry to be so long-winded, and thanks again to all for the great info I've already picked up here!
    Bill
    Windham, ME
    Last edited by Bill Karow; 02-18-2004 at 1:51 PM.

Festool.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    Festool
    Ditto. The Bosch is nice. The Festool is better. If you contact Bob Marino (check the SMC member listing) he can help you out with the "black and green".

BTW, I have a review of the Festool jigsaw on my site in case you have not heard much about it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Bosch

I've got the Bosch and you couldn't get me to change if you paid me. I haven't used a Festool, but I already own the Bosch - so I am a little biased.

Give them each a try if you can and pick the one that "Feels" best to you. Each of us has a different "Feel" for our tools and you will do better work with a tool that "Feels" right to you - rather than just the flavor of the month.
    Wood is Good!
    Greetings from The Green Mountain State!

Kurt

Just having fun with you, Bill.

First, Welcome to SMC! This is fun bunch of people and they love to help you out when they can.

I don't personally own a Festool jigsaw *yet* but I have their 150/5 ROS and the CDD-12 drill and the tools are just outstanding. I suck up all the sawdust with my CT-11e vacuum (they are on clearance right now...might be some left).

I wouldn't hesitate to buy any tool from Festool. If you need tool X, and Festool makes it, I wouldn't bat an eye to get one from them.

I would, however, bug Mr. Bob Marino (no, no relation to the real Marino who played in Miami!) and see what he has for 10, 20 or 30% off tools. My ROS was a 20% off one and my drill was a 10% off one. I couldn't tell that they weren't brand new when I received them.

I am currently contemplating the AFT-55 plunge circular saw (w/ guide track). I keep hearing way too many wonderful things about this beauty. I think my Skil worm-drive mag saw and 2x4 straight-edge might be up for sale soon!

One question on the jigsaws: Do you prefer the traditional overhand type or the barrel type? What do y'all see as pros/cons between the two body styles?

Thanks!

Blog Entries

Jig saws

I have the Bosch 1584AVSK barrel-grip and couldn't be happier. It cuts very well and is comfortable and easy to use. I've not tried or even seen the Festool, but I don't believe you will be disappointed if you buy the Bosch. Your craftsman is a Model -T compared to the Bosch 1584AVSK barrel-grip.

I used mine last night to cut some long pieces of trim and the cut is at least as smooth as you can get on any table saw.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla
    One question on the jigsaws: Do you prefer the traditional overhand type or the barrel type? What do y'all see as pros/cons between the two body styles?
    My initial take is that the barrel style is preferable. I spend lots of time at the computer keyboard, so the arched-wrist grip of the D-handle is less comfortable. I also have big hands, so the barrel feels more natural. And though I don't yet have any time on anything but a store demo barrel style handle, it seems it would be easier to exert fine control, IF you can comfortably get your hand around the grip.

Those with actual experience are welcome to toss the hogwash flag at me...

Thanks-
    Bill

I have the top handle bosch. Love it. It works like a smooth riding cadallic. 5-6 years ago when I was looking for one, I checked out the PC, as I too, am a dedicated pc fan, 12 routers, 2 saws, sanders, staplers, 6 nail guns, sawzall, on and on. But I felt like the pc weighted a ton. I settled on the bosch. Not too heavy, easy blade changes. Most of the cabinet shops I've been in over my years, when you look around, there are bosche jigsaws. So---they are favored a lot. Don't know anything about the festool, my budget isn't in favor of their tools. Way too high priced for me. Steve

Steve,

I agree about the Festool prices. I held onto my wallet for a long time but I finally broke (literally!) and am glad I did. It is tough to justify the cost until you use one for a little bit. Bosch isn't cheap either....

I love my Milwaukee, its like having a hand held bandsaw. (not as heavy though) Tried the Festool at the Woodworking show, and I didn't like the fact that I couldn't see the blade cutting. Just a personal preference.
    If at 1st you don't succeed, go back to the lumberyard and get some more wood.

I have the Bosch top handle...it has been the standard in the industry for professional installers and finish carpenters for years...mine is great! I am sure the Festool is excellent but I never used it
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

1. Festool

2. The new Makita with the LED blows everything else away.

To test a saw for blade sway, bring the pendulum all the way to the bottom, wiggle it, if its loose, don't buy it. It will not cut square in curves, the blade will wander. Test the guide roller the same way, for play. The Makita and the Festool will easily pass the test. The Milwaukee is the worst I have found. The play test will give you something quantitative to look for instead of just buying on a whim. I would also look for a saw with easy blade change. Bosch is soon to introduce a new model which is already out in Europe so you may want reconsider if you decide you like Bosch.

Gene

I'll through in my $0.02 for the Bosch Barrel grip. I also have big hands, and find it more comfortable to use than a top grip with a trigger. I also I prefer an On/Off switch over the trigger (even though I know triggers can be locked and are designed to be safer). The barrel grip can get into tighter places which when I was rebuilding an old boat came in real handy.

I have not used a Festool, as I feel they are still a bit over priced. I am curious about a comment from Jack, can you not see the blade cutting on the Festool??? This would be a major drawback in my opinion for that critical cut up to a line that a jig saw is great for.

-dan

One Festool negative

I have a Dewalt jigsaw but I recently bought a Festool Jigsaw. I was tired of how much the Dewalt blade wavered and tilted during a cut, plus I really like having dust collection on my tools. From what I researched, the Festool, partly because of the thicker blades they use, do a terrific job of making a 90 degree cut.

I have found one use where I prefer my Dewalt -- cutting the waste out of coped molding. I use the jigsaw before using a coping saw and rasps to speed up the process. I find the Dewalt is better at this job because it is easier to see the blade, and because you can control the speed of the blade with the trigger (on the Festool you spin a wheel).

I have not used a Festool, as I feel they are still a bit over priced. I am curious about a comment from Jack, can you not see the blade cutting on the Festool??? This would be a major drawback in my opinion for that critical cut up to a line that a jig saw is great for.

__________________________________________________ ______

Actually if you pop the plastic shield off the front, you get the same view as the others. The shield is for safety and dust collection. I took mine off the first time I used the saw.

Gene