Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

SMC Turner Interview - Sascha Gast

Name: Sascha Gast

How young are you?
    Born 1969, and just turned 38.

Physical description: 5'11", 170 pounds

sasha 01.jpg

Where is home?

I was born in Munich, Germany, lived in Nuernberg most of my life, but for the past 12 years I am living in Los Angeles, Playa del Rey

Family information:
    I used to be married for 3 years, after my divorce I started woodworking. I have been with the same girl, Jillian, now for almost 6 years and just got engaged last October. We will get married next year in Maui. We have 2 dogs, Jake, a yellow lab and Marley, his chocolate brother from another mother

sasha 02.jpg sasha 03.jpg

Do you have a website?
    Yup. Sure do.

Wow! That’s some incredible photography.

Vocation:

I am a hairstylist, started my apprenticeship in Germany 22 years ago. I manage a hair salon in Marina del Rey, Los Angeles and Jillian is my assistant manager. This is the only job I have ever had, I love doing hair

Shop Overview:
    I have a 2-car garage, not enough space, but like most of you guys I have mastered the art of fitting newer and bigger machines in the smallest of spaces. I enjoy my time in the shop: sometimes flat work, sometimes turning, but sometimes I just love to take pictures of the things I have made.

sasha 04.jpg

How many lathes do you own?
    Used to own: Jet mini VS, great starter lathe, had it for 6 months and sold it to get a Nova DVR lathe, even better lathe and a fine machine to do most everything I needed, but once you get to know me, you will notice that I have an addictive personality and therefore…

My current lathe: Stubby 1000 I bought about 3 years ago, the last lathe I will ever need. I love this machine, everyday I see her, I still have a smile on my face.

How many turning tools do you have?
    I own about 50 tools, gouges, parting tools, and skews. I own a mix of brands and love them all, the nod goes to the Glaser tools and the Oneway gouges. I also have about 20 different hollowing tools, the full set of the McNaughton coring system, Keith Clark hollowing rig, Keith Clark steady rest, Oneway Steady rest and bowl steady, Vacuumaster Vacuum chuck that I got through Bill Grumbine, 5 Oneway Talon chucks and also the Stronghold chuck. I am sure I forgot many, but that'll do for now

How long have you been turning, and what got you started in the first place?

I have been turning for 4 years now. I was building a table for one of my clients and wanted to make the drawer pulls myself, so I got the Jet mini and made them from ebony. The next piece was a small chunk of wood that I had gotten from David Marks when I was up in his shop for a few days. My first tiny bowl and I was hooked.

sasha 05.jpg
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 12-09-2007 at 12:40 PM.
    Only the Blue Roads