Thread: Please allow the word "Jet" to be searchable.

Please allow the word "Jet" to be searchable.

For a woodworking forum the word "Jet" ought to be a word that can be used in the search engine of the site. Is it possible to override the short word exclusion for the word "Jet"?

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Grant, with 706,000+ posts here at the Creek can you imagine how many times the word “Jet” has been used? You can use “Jet” with the Google search engine but without tying it down a little more, (Jet tablesaw, Jet drill press, Jet Bandsaw, etc.) you will be reading for awhile.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

As Bruce wrote, use Google. Much better than the default search anyway.
    "If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably a wise investment."

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Grant, with 706,000+ posts here at the Creek can you imagine how many times the word “Jet” has been used? You can use “Jet” with the Google search engine but without tying it down a little more, (Jet tablesaw, Jet drill press, Jet Bandsaw, etc.) you will be reading for awhile.
    I don't want to search the entire web, just SMC for related posts. Otherwise I'd use Google, which I use for other types of searches all the time. With Safari I can highlight a text, right click, and there is an option to search in Google. Probably that way for you that use IE.

But for searches here if you put in "Jet Tablesaw" it does not work. Try it. It only brings up Tablesaw and there is a message:
    The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: jet

But for "Delta Tablesaw" it works because Delta has more than just three letter. Jet is being excluded because it only has three letters. Seems a bit unfair to Jet. And since this is a woodworking forum someone should let this word be included in the search function. That way a person could search titles of posts that have the word Jet in them.

Or to be fair then just exclude all other woodworking tool manufactures names from the search engine.

Grant, if you use the search button on the top tool bar you can google search SMC, I just did a google search of SMC on Jet tablesaws and got 1700 hits. The "Search this thread" button on the top of the thread doesn't have it be sure and use the one on the top tool bar that has the advance search option.
    David

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Grant, if you go to the search dropdown at the top of this page you can use the “Google Sawmillcreek” search engine. It will allow you to use “Jet Table saw” to search SMC.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Grant, if you go to the search dropdown at the top of this page you can use the “Google Sawmillcreek” search engine. It will allow you to use “Jet Table saw” to search SMC.
    Opps, missed that one at the top. I had been using the "Search this Forum" a bit down from the top on the right side.

Thanks that helps a ton!

But still you cannot search posts that have Jet in the subject/title line that might be more specific to Jet.

And the best part is that it makes Google's servers do the search work instead of the SMC server!

Blog Entries
    I use Firefox Mozilla for my browser, I've got a add-on I can do search's of any website quickly.

I found Jet search Results 1 - 10 of about 7,460. Good luck with that... definitely must narrow search.
    Have a Nice Day!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    And the best part is that it makes Google's servers do the search work instead of the SMC server!
    To me, the best part is that you can search on strings. Using the forum search for "Stanley Plane" (with the quotes) returns instances of "Stanley" or "Plane" (500+). The Google search only returns references to the complete string (80).
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA