Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DVR or TiVo?

we have Tivo - on non-HD TV for many years. It is excellent and far better than the DVRs I have seen - interface is superior - search and program select (i.e. you could do record any program with woodworking in the description, and feel like you are getting the money out of the check you stroke to the cable company every month). Tivo also has some other "extras" (pictures, podcast, Tivo-only programming) but the core function is excellent.

we now have the cable company DVR because we got a HDTV and our Tivo-model would not record HD programming (although they do make HD-Tivo). It is just a pitiful interface, but the quality of HD makes up for that. Personally, I would like to see the cable box makers just pay the royalties or whatever and license the Tivo interface. I have been watching HD-Tivo prices for awhile with intentions of returning to the promised land.

I'm not sure that i watch more TV or less...but do know when I have time to sit and watch TV - I am watching programming I want to watch (skipping through commercials) and not just what I whatever is on or randomly channel surfing.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Thanks guys, I’m still mulling it over but I’m leaning towards the TiVo TCD648250B Series3 HD digital recorder that’ll record 300 hours normal and 25-30 hours in HD.
    Kind of pricy but I remember paying $650 for a TOL Sony VCR just before they went dirt cheap.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

We love both of our TiVos, we dont watch live TV anymore. We are getting the wireless networking cards for both units for Christmas and a third TiVo for the Master Bedroom. All are non-HD models. Check out www.weaknees.com for great deals on refurb units. You also can order lifetime subscriptions for the service through this vendor, the models in retail stores don't offer the lifetime option anymore, just annual subscriptions. Also the site will add larger harddrives for more capacity than stock units. I am not affiliated at all, but just a happy customer.

We are adding the networking so we will be able to watch a show recorded on a different deck without burning to a DVD and playing on the other units. Once you have a TiVO you will toss your VCR.

The only downside is the approx 2 sec delay on the tv, making it impossible to watch live football on the TV and listen to the radio. Also talking on the phone to someone watching the game at the same time is difficult as they start cheering for a completed pass as you see the center snap the ball. But it is worth it!

Allison and I make great use of our TiVO box. One of my next big projects is to upgrade the unit with a new 500 gig hard drive... about 10x more space than the current unit.

You will also like Amazon.com's Unbox service for TiVO where you can rent or buy movies, tv shows, etc... and have it automatically downloaded to the TiVO for your enjoyment.

Dan
    A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish.

I'd like to dispute some of the statements about things that DVRs won't do. Ours:
    • Records an entire series of a show. You can choose "first run only" or "all episodes". If the times change, that's fine - it'll handle it. A good example is the "Dancing With the Stars" series of shows LOML wanted to see. They ran multiple times per week and the recording was flawless. If a sporting event runs long and you want to record "60 Minutes", it will adjust to capture the time change (there are some limits to that).
    • My wife knows how to use the menus and she isn't keen on this stuff. That tells me the system is easy to use.
    • One strong advantage of our DVR is that it's rented and, if it dies, is replaced without charge by the cable company. The monthly cost of our DVR is about the same as a Tivo, so I figure the box itself is basically free. When technology changes and they have a model with a larger hard drive, we just swap the unit out.
    • I'm pretty sure that we can download movies, but haven't bothered to look into that much.
    I believe there is a search feature, but haven't used it.

I won't disagree that Tivo is probably better than a DVR, but I would strongly dispute the statement that a DVR is "just an electronic VCR". I will say that our DVR comes from our cable service provider and that is likely to be different than a DVR that you buy at the big box electronics store.

Rob

Tivo all the way. I have friends that with all of them, from Tivo ( which I have ) to cable versions, dish versions and homebuilt versions. And if you want something that you just turn on and forget about with exccelent features, Tivo is it (IMHO) I like tinkering with Media Center on my own time, but as soon as you go homebuilt, you become the IT guy for the rest of the family
    I just want to live happily ever after,
    every now and then.

-- Jimmy Buffett

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Help!!
    I've read this twice and still a little foggy.
    I use to be really up on analog audio and video but digital has left me behind.
    I have Direct TV. Will TIVO replace my Direct TV box or do they have to be used together??
    The features of the TIVO seem to be very desirable.

Say more about wireless cards please??
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

With DirecTV, the Tivo is built into the DirecTV receiver. And, they no longer offer Tivo, just a DVR. Based on some reading, it sounds like people who had Tivos and went to the DVRs are not happy with them because of missing features (talking about DirecTV DVR, not DVR in general.) I believe there are places where you can still buy DirecTV Tivo units but eventually they will supposedly be phasing out the service and forcing us to DVR. Also, DirecTV won't support the wireless network cards on their Tivo units. There are hacks to make them work, assuming you have the right model (I don't.)

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Thanks Matt,
    Just hopped over to the TiVo site and they offer only one box for Satalite use?

They also say you need Broadband internet for Tivo use. Sooooooo.
    If I get broadband off DirecTV and TiVo off DirecTV will the world implode??.
    Sounds like I need a dial up line too?
    Sorry Bruce for hijacking your thread
    TIA
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I dunno, Tyler. I think your DVR that came with DirectTV is pretty good. Rob spelled out some misconceptions. My mother has Dish Network (like I do) and runs it just fine and she was a 2 VCR household for many, many years. I think the s/w for DVR offered by non-TiVo boxes will get better over time and Tivo will have its hands full trying to stay competitive. My 2 dinars on the subject.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Howell View Post
    If I get broadband off DirecTV
    Don't do it unless that is the ONLY option. Look into wireless broadband (I have Sprint) first.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    Tyler, I’m still not sure what I’m going to do so the more questions/info the better. I understand that Comcast, which I have for the ‘puter as well as HDTV, has a TiVo setup in their DVR. I’m going to look into that.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Bottom line, Bruce, is that you will be happy with either TiVo or DVR...if you've never had either before. It has revolutionized watching shows.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Bruce,
    I asked some questions about the Comcast DVR...it's pretty much the same as I have for Cox. It replaced our "box"...and I would say that you will love it. Of course I haven't used TiVo...I just couldn't justify the expense when I was looking into it...besides...I wanted HD service to match that wall of tv picture that DrLOML bought for me.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    Bottom line, Bruce, is that you will be happy with either TiVo or DVR...if you've never had either before. It has revolutionized watching shows.
    Isn't that for real! We were watching something live on the TV because both of the DVR tuners were recording something for later. LOML asked "Can't we skip through the ads?" Ummm - no dear, this is regular TV.