Thread: Router Bit Sets

Router Bit Sets

Anyone have any suggestions on 1/2 shank router bit sets for general woodworking?

Post Alan,

MLCS has a 66 bit set for $199 I think, I have it and they performed well for the price, but it all depends on how often you use them. there are 2/3rds of the bits in that case that have never been removed from their hold ad some that need sharpening- I found out how to do that today from my thread-Bill told me, diamond paddle is what you use apparently- I am going to get one of those very soon. I am looking write now for a cabinet set and have posted a thread on here about that as well- still no responses- I'll watch your thread as well to see what comes up.
    Brian

Alan, I think most everyone would agree that it is best to "buy what you need" because there are alway several bits in most sets that you would probably never use. That said, what I did is bought a 66 pc set from MLCS similar to this one http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...ges/set66.html what this allows you to do is determine which bits you use most.

While these aren't the best bits made they a well worth what you pay for them and as they dull you can replace with a quality brand bit such as Frued, CMT , Whiteside or Eagle America (this is my favorite, a quality bit at a reasonable cost).
    David

Question dave,?

Quote Originally Posted by David Duke View Post
    Alan, I think most everyone would agree that it is best to "buy what you need" because there are alway several bits in most sets that you would probably never use. That said, what I did is bought a 66 pc set from MLCS similar to this one http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shops...ges/set66.html what this allows you to do is determine which bits you use most.

While these aren't the best bits made they a well worth what you pay for them and as they dull you can replace with a quality brand bit such as Frued, CMT , Whiteside or Eagle America (this is my favorite, a quality bit at a reasonable cost).
    Dave,
    what 1/2" router bits do you like the best for the cost? I am looking for a cabinet bit set.
    Brian
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Weick View Post
    Dave,
    what 1/2" router bits do you like the best for the cost? I am looking for a cabinet bit set.
    Brian
    Brian
    Brian, I really like the bits from Eagle America, while these are probably not in the same class as Amana and Whiteside, I think you get a quality bit a good price. http://www.eagleamerica.com/category...996_A_c2c_E_ln
    David

I purchased a cheap set as David D. of 1/4" long ago to get the coverage and see what I really needed. Over the years I discovered what I use the most are the round-overs.. straight.. over-head bearing template, coves and groove bits. So... those have all been replaced with an array of sizes with either CMT or Eagle America 1/2" shank bits along with few other specialty bits I use.

Most of the cheapie set bits have never been used as say a Roman Ogee. If they re-named that bit it might get more consideration. How about Roman Or..... ah never mind.

If you have ever seen a shank break or experienced tiny carbide missles flying in your shop, you will better understand that it's just best to pay the price and get well made bits.

Sarge..

I tend to avoid sets unless they are related to a particular task...such as a raised panel set, etc. The exceptions in my arsenal are things like a 3-5 pc set of the same profile in different sizes for something commonly used, such as round-overs.

That said, there can be a good argument for buying a general moderately priced set featuring a variety of profiles so you can determine what you used the most. You can then invest in better product for those often used profiles and just use the less expensive tooling for occasional creativity. But do stick with 1/2" shank rather than 1/4" shank cutters...(8mm is also good for the smaller things as it's still substantially stronger than 1/4" shank cutters)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I agree w/Jim.

Most of my beginning routing was edge forming. There are good 5pc edgerouting sets (try Grizzly) that can get you pretty far.

You can add task-specific sets as yr needs expand.

Whiteside set from Holbren

I recommend this Whiteside set from Holbren. Believe you can use "SMC10" at checkout to get an additional 10% discount (not sure if it applies to sets but worth a try).
    http://www.holbren.com/product.php?p...0&cat=0&page=1

Infinity router bits

I have been very happy with the infinity bits. I have several including a cabinet door set. These are usually about $115 which is about $30 cheaper than a comparable freud. I do have one of their cabinet sets also and I have been very happy. Both companies make very good bits.

I have bought alot of the infinity bits in heir "overstock" section. Same bits just anywhere from 25-50% off regualr prices. Sometimes you have to wait if you are set on a particular size or shank but I have always been able to find ones I have been looking for within a reasonable amount of time. Some of these bits I have had for a couple of years and have done alot of cutting with them and they are as good today as they were when I took them from the package.

You definately seem to get what you pay for in this department. I cannot comment on the MLCS as I have never used them.

It's always wise to buy high quality cutters...be it blades or bits. They'll perform better and last longer. Whiteside offers a basic 7 pc set of the most commonly used profiles. They're US made top shelf cutters. Holbren has the set for ~ $80 shipped with the "SMC10" discount. You can add profiles as needed.

Many bits from the larger sets are near duplicates or are rather obscure profiles that won't see much use, and are usually lesser quality than the top brands like Whiteside, Infinity, Eagle, Freud, Amana, or CMT.

http://www.holbren.com/home.php?xid=...a93abc3c7222d2
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I have both Freud, Amana, and Whiteside bits. Scott's recommendation would be a good start, IMO.

13. Another vote for the 7 piece Whiteside set from Holbren. These are very, very highly rated bits for less than $10 each.