Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walnut blanket chest and chair done.

Walnut blanket chest and chair done.

I finished this walnut blanket chest and walnut chair recently. This is part of the bedroom set I've been making.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=46059
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=35145
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=60298

I now just have the bed to make and I will be done. All the walnut is from those walnut trees I cut down a few years ago. The blanket chest is 45"L x 20"W x 27"T.

The chair is the first one I have ever made so be easy on the comments. It's very comfortable and designed it myself. I wanted a lighter looking chair with some curves but not too contemporary. It goes with the desk I finished a while ago. Thanks for looking.

Rick

There are two theories to arguing with a woman... neither works.

Beautiful!

Masterful

Very nice figure presentation in the panels. And good board selection for the top---it appears at first glance to be a single board.

Beautiful Blanket chest. I just started today on one myself and I am working from Norm's plan. I wanted to go simple because I am working with my son to make a Christmas gift for Mom. It's a first for both of us. Is this your own design or did you use a plan?

Very nice work

Rick on both accounts you have hit a home run!

Regarding the blanket box top and panels, the walnut has been put together skillfully. Nice proportion and simple but elegant panels.

The chair is like when my wife gets a new hair style - its nice but it will take time to give me the warm and fuzzies - but I do like the chair. Did you router out the seat?

Bob

Great wood selection and placement

Wood selection and placement is a much overlooked part of making furniture, in this regard you have done very well. Both of these pieces are nicely balanced and well executed designs.

Ron

Those are beautiful pieces. I like everything about them; the wood, the style, the proportions..great job and thanks for showing.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

very very nicely done. Are those side panels solid wood and you just slotted them in grooves in the face frames? Even on those, it is difficult to tell if it is a single or multiple pieces, if the former, then it is incredibly well matched.

If you have some more pictures of the feet and your method of construction on them, i would be interested in seeing them.

I see you have made several pieces all of the same style, it is a very nicely done set. I assume you also made the edge molding from the same stock and you routed the pattern in them.

Very inspiring work.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Very nice Rick. You obviously paid a lot of attention to board layout for that chest. Looks great. I see someone has already claimed it for use!

I really like the chair too. I've never made a chair. I need 8 for a table I made myself a few years ago. <shame on me>.

Good job!

Todd

Beautiful. As others have said--great board layout.

i love the chair. very nice lines, great proportion. you said you did design it yourself - did you have something to work from or work from a plan?

how is the seat attached?

it reminds me of a few chairs my grandmother had - not these huge things it seems are around now. it was more petite.

Rick,
    That's some nice work there. As said already, VERY nice job with the grain matching!!!
    Can't say as I find much to say other than what's already been said here.

Cheers,
    Greg

Outstanding Sir!

I will have to agree with Julie, the proportons of the chair are very nice!

Scott

Fabulous work!!! Those pieces are just plain wonderful. Nice job with grain matching on that blanket chest top, too...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...