I took delivery of a new Grizzly G0490 Jointer last week. Setup was relatively easy. Jointer runs fine and cuts smoothly. However, after around an hour of total usage (with multiple turning on and off), the motor starting making a surging sound when turned off (the motor spins down when I hit the off button, then I hear a clicking sound, which I think is normal, then the motor seems to spin up briefly before shutting off). The drive belt also vibrates when this surge happens. Motor still makes this noise after I disconnected the drive belt, so problem is unrelated to drive belt or cutter head.

I called Grizzly tech support about this. The tech rep said noise is caused by motor braking. He says since motor is still spinning shortly after I hit the off button, the energy has to go somewhere. This energy dissipates by trying to spin the motor in reverse direction, which supposedly causes the noise. He also said this shutdown noise is normal for some motors, and that nothing can be done. He didn't have an answer when I asked why this noise didn't happen from the start. He also couldn't explain why it happens on some motors and not others. To me, this is just poor quality control.

I have other woodworking machines with 3 or 5HP single-phase induction motors. Since none of these machines make this noise, I'm not sure I buy the Grizzly rep's explanation. In any case, the tech rep says nothing can be done.

Has anyone come across this problem with a Grizzly machine and found a solution?