Thread: A $100 woodworking kit?

Talking A $100 woodworking kit?

Here's a challenge.

The computer world is trying to invent a $100 laptop for the world's poor to use. So far they have gotten as close as a mass-produce-able $188 computer.

What if you were trying to tell a woodworking newcomer with very limited funds how to start woodworking for $100 - or as close as you can get?

Any new / used / hand-me-down ideas are OK, as long as you include shipping costs.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Find a pre-war Stanley/Bailey #4 plane for about $30-50. Clean/fettle/sharpen it to usable condition.
    Then watch in awe as the slope goes vertical.
    Suddenly (miraculously), the $100 budget becomes a distant undiscernable voice. Then you somehow "find" the money.
    Another one bites the dust.
    Hey, I've 'seen' this...
    The early bird gets the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!

That's great, Bill.

Here's my list so far:
    Hammer - bottom drawer
    Screw drivers - bottom drawer
    Glue - top drawer of the desk - half bottle
    tape 1/4 masking - next to screw driver
    String - same
    rubber bands - a few in the desk

4 marples chisels Woodcraft - free shipping - inc. tax $14.00
    2000 sandpaper Local Auto supply $6.00
    Crown gents saw Rockler $20.00

I'm only to $40 so far.

Then I'm trying to figure out if you go to your friend, the woodworker and say, "That brass plane sure is pretty. What's 'Lie-Nielsen' mean? I sure would like to have one of those things!", maybe the woodworker friend would think it is funny and give you one of his (her) old stanley block planes instead?

Still at $40.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

A $100 beginners woodworking set :

Last edited by Rick Gifford; 11-28-2007 at 4:24 AM. Reason: Added Duct Tape!
    One good turn deserves another

Rick ya forgot the duck tape

$100 is a pretty small budget, I couldn't really recommend new tools for that budget, but if you have more time than money estate sales and flea markets are where you find some pretty good old tools for next to nothing.

I'd start with a couple of old hand saws, one cross and one rip. You can find the D-23's or the "Warranted Superior" saws really cheap and they are good users. Say around $20 for both. Add in a file to sharpen them ($5), then add a couple of chisels($5 - $10 each), then add in an old Stanley #5 or #6 for prepping boards ($15 - $25). Of course you'll need to include some sharpening stones, maybe a Norton combination stone or one of the less expensive Japanese combination waterstones ($25). You might want to consider an old brace and a few bits ($10 - $15). Add in a try square ($5) and a tape measure ($5) and there's quite a bit you can do with that kit.

The problem with this suggestion is that to make it work you really have to know what you are looking for. Someone who has never been involved in woodworking isn't likely to know enough to find decent usable tools, unless they put a lot of time in to research beforehand or they have a mentor...

The big advantage is that instead of wasting money on cheap junk that you would grow out of, you could get quality tools that would last a lifetime.
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Hi,
    Thinking on Rick's post made me think back to an old guy I worked with who just had a saw and hammer. The saw was originally a 22" I guess but was down to about 17" from the sharpening. He musta carried a pencil somewhere, but he wouldn't have been seen dead with glasspaper!!

Now we're cooking.

Andy

I'd go to a pawn shop and negotiate.

Quote Originally Posted by CW McClellan View Post
    Rick ya forgot the duck tape
    DONE DEAL!
    One good turn deserves another

Try the old timers way, axe or hatchet, two webs (blades) crosscut, rip, make your own frames. Mallet or club, make your own. Drawknife, spoke shave and a piece of glass or a scraper blade.
    Folding ruler, knife, string and charcoal for snapping a line. One plane. trestle or saw tables, make your own. Dowel plate, piece of iron with several holes. 4 in 1 hand rasp. Many an old Craftsman may have had less, but it didn't deter him from building a home and furniture to furnish it.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

Forgot some nail rod for burning holes. and making chisels of sorts.
    Jr.
    Hand tools are very modern- they are all cordless
    NORMAL is just a setting on the washing machine.
    Be who you are and say what you feel... because those that matter... don't mind...and those that mind...don't matter!
    By Hammer and Hand All Arts Do Stand

I really envy the prices at which you guys are able to pick up vintage tools. Perth is tool hell. Still, here is my contribution, a sharpening kit worth 10 cents ...

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/d.../sharpSys1.asp

Regards from Perth

Derek