Thread: Lumber drying

Angry Lumber drying

Made a mistake, put ? in Support Forum re-subject. O Well, must learn my way around this new, to me, forum. Would appreciate your input there rather than restating ? here. Thanks.

<b>Approx. Sept. 2001 I had some newly cut trees (Fir, Ceder, Alder) cut into lumber. Stacked all w/stickler boards. This summer the moisture content was down to 8%. We have kept it covered at all times. Went to use some Alder the other day & the moisture content is now @ 16%. Is this due to the time of the year in the Northwest? I am making pedistals for a dinning room table w/this. Laminating pieces so that I can get 4-1/2" sq. blanks prior to turning. Will I have problems w/movement? TIA for the help.</b>

Hey Dale,

Probably the best thing to do is to let the timber sit for a couple weeks in your shop and see what the equilibrium mc is at that time. I've never seen air dried timber get much below at 12% mc anywhere that has measurable humidity in the air, and there's always measurable humidity in the great (yet damp) northwest.

Jim Izat