Thread: finally finished the table- weekend accomplishments

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post finally finished the table- weekend accomplishments

I started here, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...92539#poststop and I am finishing here. All Solid Maple table . the legs were turned and fluted on my Oliver 20C , the cornice corbels are hand carved tulip leaves with the vine flowing down into the curved sconce shell. Now I get to work on my other project- http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...=staved+column ,that's the one I have been trying to get to but ~ well~ you know how it goes.
    You all have a great weekend!
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post More pictures

Here are some more pictures-

Post additional pictures

here are last of the pictures -, I have 30 more but that is enough.
    On to the next project!
    Brian

Wow...quite a project, Brian! A little bit of everything went into that one! Nice job.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Question Hey Jim,

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Wow...quite a project, Brian! A little bit of everything went into that one! Nice job.
    thank you Jim,
    Listen,
    Jump over to the Ornament exchange http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=69346 , I finished earls today, well I have 4 more coats but it really isn't a "tree ornament" and I didn't want to upset the forum or Keith by doing something else, but it is related to the holiday - let me know, I can make an ornament in no time, but I wanted to do something special for him- it's my first time getting involved in this. Let me know- thanks Jim!
    Brian

That is heck of a project. The whole thing looks great. Nice desing, finish and everythig looks top notch.
    How are the leg attached to the top square blocks? These have to be strong since that is the weak point on tables. I like to know since it look very well done.

Awesome table and beautiful finish.

WOW!! Love the table and that Oliver looks great too!

Post Alex,

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Elias View Post
    That is heck of a project. The whole thing looks great. Nice desing, finish and everythig looks top notch.
    How are the leg attached to the top square blocks? These have to be strong since that is the weak point on tables. I like to know since it look very well done.

Good morning Alex,
    Thank you for the compliments, That was one area that concerned me with this design since the leg top block is hallow. What I did was ,first of all , I constructed the blocks , router the bottom edge where it meets the top bead of the leg, then I cut a block,exactly the size of the opening on the block, just slightly larger , couple thousands of an inch, I centered the mounting block on to the leg, glued both sides, pre-drilled the 4 mounting screws and then assembled the leg to the mounting block, then I glued the hallow leg block and the mounting block, slid the mounting block into the block cavity- it was a very snug fit, tapped it in and then used my finishing nailer to put 2 nails in at the ogee part of the routered edge- 8 in total, then wood filler and sand. the hallow blocks were glued to the bottom of the face and the side curbs then screwed into the bottom of the table and the sides of the curb- 4 in total. ~ talk about stiff- it's not going anywhere. Normally , you would use a solid block mounted under the table on all 4 corners,or just a mounting plate braced underneath (not a big fan of that design) then a center 2 sided 3/8-1/2' lag screw, or bolt/screw assembly from the top of the leg to the mounting block. I try to get as much out of the wood I have and hate to waist wood. hope this helps,
    Brian
    Last edited by Brian Weick; 11-25-2007 at 9:21 AM.

Blog Entries
    WOW Brian that's a real beauty. I see you're getting plenty of use out of that indexing wheel. You've got quite the skills, carving, turning and design style. Way to go.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

That is one heckuvapieceuvwork, Brian! I'm in awe and envy!
    That's not a light at the end of the tunnel; It's a naked singularity.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III

Beautiful work Brian! My hat's off to you for figuring out such a unique design and then being able to create it! Extremely nice work - beautiful color - congrats on a job well done!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Post Thank you :)

Yes , it is all in the planing- big on plans, I have my dinning room table to make now, after the capital corbel cabinet sides in the lower bathroom, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ghlight=column After I get this completed (I'll have pictures of this as well), then on to the table. Going to make 4 8" x 32" fluted column legs- similar design to the table but with some hand carving in them- not sure yet, I have to lay it all out. I don't make furniture for a living - can't compete with all the MDF/veneer china companies. I like solid wood if at all possible.
    Thank you for noticing my work-
    Brian

datsa some kind a woodworkin skill you got goin there Brian.
    HATS OFFF to you.
    Bob

Wonderful piece of furniture Brian. Love the pics too!! You are a true artisan.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson