Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some of my Rocking Chairs

Some of my Rocking Chairs

I have been posting on SMC for a bit now but havn't shown any of my work so here you are. I have been concentrating on rocking chairs lately and have built 5 to date. They are from Hal Taylor plans and these are walnut, curly maple and zebra.

gorgeous work. what's the finish?

Gorgeous chairs!

I like the finish work, and can tell that it looks better than the flash in the last picture is trying to let it look.

Great work. And to top it off, they look very comfortable.

Who is Hal Taylor? He can't be Sam Maloof's favorite person if he's putting out those plans.

Beautiful! Such nice flowing lines.

They are absolutely magnificent, Building a rocking chair is on my to-do list.

Gary

All I can say is... WOW!
    "History is strewn with the wrecks of nations which have gained a little progressiveness at the cost of a great deal of hard manliness, and have thus prepared themselves for destruction as soon as the movements of the world gave a chance for it." -Walter Bagehot

Quote Originally Posted by Don C Peterson View Post
    All I can say is... WOW!
    I'm with you Don, just looking at those rockers and all I could think was "wow"

T

Very impressive - please share some details I would love to learn more. Those are beautiful pieces of wood and the craftsmanship is impressive.

Glenn
    Why do shop gnomes only steal the sharpened pencils?

You get my WOW!

Wow Wow Wow

And another. Beautiful work, thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Those are absolutly stunning. Do you offer classes? How did you do the joinery from the armrest to the seat? Flawless "A+++++"
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

And another WOW from me....

Great work! Did I say wow....

Richard,

You did some exquisite work there, Hal has put together a resource that is second to none. I can't say that after all my trips to the big hardwood suppliers in Seattle that I have ever even seen 8/4 zebrawood. I think I would be scared at the price and it would make my head spin. Just out of curiousity what were the woods used on your other 2 chairs? I bet you are glad to give your poor fingers a rest after all that work.

Absolutely amazing pieces of work.... I built a set of dinning room chairs once and swore I would never do it again and they were notning compared to your rocking chairs...

Thanks for all the kind words about the chairs. I was inspired by Sam Maloof's work of course, but the chairs are designed by Hal Taylor and there are several differances between them and Sam's chairs. Everyone who has sat in one always says that it is the most comfortable chair they have ever experianced. The back is flexible and has a curve that fits your lower back. There are Ash laminations in the back slats and, the slats are in elongated holes with no glue so they can flex.

Frank,
    The finish is Deft Danish Oil, 2 coats with a paper towel a week apart. Wipe it on wait 30 minutes wipe it off. The key is prepping with a series of paper and then a 500 grit Abralon pad which seems to burnish the wood. Still takes the oil great and is very durable.

David,
    You are right, I don't think the pictures do them justice. Check Hal's website for more info about him and the chairs.

Bill,
    You come on out here and we'll do a class!

Kyle,
    I am fortunate to have several good suppliers here in L.A. so the Zebra wasn't to hard to find. The other two are Cyurly Maple and Walnut.

Everyone,
    Thanks again for the compliments. If you or someone you know is interested, PM me for pricing.
    Last edited by Richard Dragin; 11-19-2007 at 7:56 PM.