Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My NEW Unique Blast Gates

1. My NEW Unique Blast Gates

Just finished these up today. Thought I'd post some pics. I originally found a pic of these gates here at SMC, and through some diligent web searching, found the original designer, Mr. David Buchsbaum of Beacon Custom Woodwork (http://www.beaconcustomwoodwork.com/) . He was kind enough to help me a bit with my own gate project, since my ductwork didn't quite work with his original gate design. These gates are great. They work very well, and allow a high gate position near the main branch while allowing access within an easy reach. Got a higher ceiling? Just use a longer rope. There is a gasket on the side faces of the outer two members to allow free movement, but provide for a seal as well. I bought the gasket from a supplier to the CNC vacuum clamping industry.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thumbs up Jareem,

Those blast gates you made are really nice- very well done- I like your innovation and idea- that must be so much easier than the metal or plastic standard blast gates. - Very well thought out and great job on the finished product- my hat goes of to you on this Jareem-
    Have a great weekend
    Brian

Jameel,
    Thats like cool n stuff....
    Seriously, neat & nice job.

Greg

Very nice design and great timing on the post. I just bought a dust collector and will be running ducting this weekend!

Cheers!

KP

Rob Will Guest
    Very neat. Congrats on a great job.

Rob

Very nice Jameel, what did you use for the intake & output tubes?

Here are a couple of pictures of gates I made. I found the I could cut a joint coupler in half & put one half on each side of the blast gate this makes hook up easy. I don't have high ceilings & have to mount the blast gate on the machine & with the longer handle I can tuck it in behind with the handle sticking out or back a little from the front of a machine. The the first picture shows on the one that opens & closes the gate behind my CMS. The second shows the gate that goes on the right side of my Unisaw both handles are easy to reach.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 11-18-2007 at 12:09 AM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Cool. I was real interested in making those after seeing one small fuzzy pic here but couldn't find any more info or better pics. Ended up just spring loading LV blastgates instead with a pull chain to reach from below
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=58586
    Use the fence Luke

Very nice, Jameel!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well done

Nice work Jameel, simple but very effective.
    David

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    That's cool Jameel!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Very nice. That goes in the scrapbook.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

Quote Originally Posted by Jameel Abraham View Post
    Just finished these up today. Thought I'd post some pics. I originally found a pic of these gates here at SMC, and through some diligent web searching, found the original designer, Mr. David Buchsbaum of Beacon Custom Woodwork (http://www.beaconcustomwoodwork.com/) . He was kind enough to help me a bit with my own gate project, since my ductwork didn't quite work with his original gate design. These gates are great. They work very well, and allow a high gate position near the main branch while allowing access within an easy reach. Got a higher ceiling? Just use a longer rope. There is a gasket on the side faces of the outer two members to allow free movement, but provide for a seal as well. I bought the gasket from a supplier to the CNC vacuum clamping industry.
    Nice work on the gates. Seeing the green pipe though concerns me. Have you made provisions to ground your systems from static? I used some green pipe a long time ago and saw how static would effect the exterior of the pipe when you see dust starting to accumulate on it. I bring this to your attention to make sure your system is safe from static explosion. Please do some research on it (grounding) to make sure you stay safe in your shop.
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

14. Thanks everybody.

Don't worry, Michael, the grounding is the next step. Thanks!

Those are cool.

Makes me wish I has a DC system so I could make some.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey