Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much does your internet service cost?

Just done a speed test. 5046 KBPS down, 432 KBPS UP

How does my speed compare?

2. Broadbandreports.com provides some tests and info on tweaking settings to try and eke out the max speed. I have TimeWarner Cable, and since they took over from Adelphia Cable, my speed has gone down to about 700kps down and 490kps up. I'm very unhappy with the degradation in the speed, which I attribute to the growth of cable internet here (DSL isn't available, and Verizon FIOS service isn't rolled out everywhere.

I pay $44.95 a month.

I pay about $42/month for Cable through Comcast

Verizion (2 yr contract) 24.95 month and if I re-sign 30 days before my contract expires it stays the same price forever.....(or so they say)

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Rice View Post
    Verizion (2 yr contract) 24.95 month and if I re-sign 30 days before my contract expires it stays the same price forever.....(or so they say)
    I think their rational is that bandwidth will be like computer memory - it'll get cheaper over time. So I guess they aren't taking that much of a risk by promising not to increase the price.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Charter cable here. I just did a speed test and got 4821 down and 484 up. I think mine is in the $40-50 per month. It's part of my TV bundle so I'm not sure exactly. Charter now is offering a 10 MB download, but I'm not sure it would be worth the extra money.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

We've got Charter here and in my part of town they have a monopoly and they and the city really gouge us. My bundle is more than $170 per month. I would go to dsl but none is available.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Where I live providers are required to offer any of their services unbundled. They cannot make you take TV.
    Hmm....... Thank you for that info. I'll have to look into that.
    When we first switched to cable internet I had to borrow a tv to test the signal. The service rep was adamant that I would need a TV to verify the signal.
    I asked why didn't they have some form of a "GO-NO GO" signal testing box, Rep said they didn't. I had to have a TV.
    Installer shows up, and guess what? He had a frequency tester with a green and red LED to verify signal strength. 'GO-NO GO".

I'll look into the bundled packages. It's only $11.00 of the bill but it's always irked me to pay for something I will never use(TV).

Dick, that's an EXCELLENT price for a 5mb down DSL tier. My 3mb down service (768 up) from VZ currently runs me the same $29.95 (annual contract) plus taxes here in SE PA. I'll gladly pay more when FiOS eventually gets available here for 15/2 or 15/15 is they make it availaible...assuming the township every stops making unreasonable demands from VZ.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Wiggins View Post
    I have AT&T (formerly BellSouth) DSL Ultra (1.5 Mbps/256 Kbps) for $32.95/mo.

My Speed Test showed 1.264 Mbps/206 Kbps - not too bad - esp. since I've only got 256MB RAM anyway!
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I pay $29.95/month for a 5 Mbps service. Never had any real problems except I was unable to connect a few times as they were working on the network.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    Dialup. All I can get

Me too.

$9.95 a month
    Kurt

I have the highspeed 'wireless' thingy here, the speed sucks (1.5meg down and about 275k up.. On a good day)
    but it was either this, or dial up.. At least with this I can network the house computer through the shop wireless modem.. Another good site for checking your speed between you, and anywhere else on the planet is
    http://www.speedtest.net
    It will also keep a running record of your performance when you want ot complain to you ISP about slow service
    We now have high speed on phone lines here and My contract with this thing will run out in april.. I'll shift to the hardwire then.. My Signmaker neighbor gets 5meg regularly on the wire..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

I think mine is $29.95 a month from Qwest for DSL. But it should be free, paid for by all the online vendors that I buy from that I had never even heard of before this WWW thing came along. That's the real expense, buying all the cool stuff available online.

Our ISP is D&E telephone and they also threw in a $50.00 Sheetz gas card. It was a no-brainer for me. BTW I tested my current 1.5/256 speed and it is 1206/206. I'm not sure how that compares.