Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3/4" Pipe Clamps: which ones are the best?

3/4" Pipe Clamps: which ones are the best?

Just want to solicit some opinions on which pipe clamps are the best.

ive been looking at the 3/4" bessey's, jorgensen (pony), Grizzly, Irwin, Wilton, Shop fox, on and on.

thanks in advance.

v/r

dan

I like my Pony's.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Barr View Post
    Just want to solicit some opinions on which pipe clamps are the best.

ive been looking at the 3/4" bessey's, jorgensen (pony), Grizzly, Irwin, Wilton, Shop fox, on and on.

thanks in advance.

v/r

dan
    Right now, my pipe clamps are the POS from Harbor Freight, but if I was shopping today I would probably go with Rockler's (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17397), and I'd probably spring for their EZ-Clutch system as well (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16530). If you're not in a hurry, they do put them on sale periodically.

They also put their aluminum clamps on sale periodically (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10819). I have some 3' and 4' and am pretty happy with them.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I use the Jorgensen pipe clamps & have been happy with them & think that they are the best. The Irwin Quick Grip look interesting but there have been very few times that I have wanted to remove the heads quickly. The Shop Fox are just like some Craftsman clamps I used to own. The base would slip on the pipe. The Bessey & Wiltons look like copys of the Jorgensen. I have not seen the Wiltons. I bought several of the Besseys a couple of years ago for a large job I was doing. I ended up not using them. They do look like very nice clamps & came with rubber face pads. Maybe I will get around to selling them one of these days.

FYI - Hope it's not against the rules to reference a deal at another site....If you go for the Jorgy 50's (Pony's) they are on sale at Amazon ($10.49ea, and 4 for the price of 3 deal, free shipping) so you get 4 for $31.xx shipped. This is basically half of what my local BORG is charging. Oh, and I'm still a newbie so take it for what it's worth...but I have found my Jorgy 50's to be great clamps at a great price. They have worked just fine thus far for my panel glue-ups and other assembly tasks.
    Last edited by Sean Kinn; 11-15-2007 at 8:58 AM.

Personally, I love my Jorgenson Pony pipe clamps and would recommend them to anybody. Do a search online. I once bought a dozen from 7 Corners Ace Hardware for about $85 shipped, but I don't see them on their website now. But the deals are out there.

I like the Irwins. People complain about the heads rotating, but I solved that by drilling throught the head, and pipe, and installing a cotter pin. The heads dont screw into the pipe, they have clutches like the moveable ends. Good clamp IMHO.

I like my Irwins too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Norris View Post
    I like the Irwins. People complain about the heads rotating, but I solved that by drilling throught the head, and pipe, and installing a cotter pin. The heads dont screw into the pipe, they have clutches like the moveable ends. Good clamp IMHO.
    Hello, My name is John and I am a toolaholic

I have used a lot of differant ones over the years and bought a bunch of the HF ones because of the price. I really can't tell the differance between them and Pony's and I think it is one of the few things at HF that is a good value for wood working. I also picked up 20 6" c-clamps for doing laminations because at $3 each it is hard to beat.

I have HF, Ponys and Rockler. Next time I buy it will be the Rockler sure foots. I really like those the best, the wide base makes them much easier to use.

Scott

Blog Entries

I have a variety

My pipe clamps are from several different manufacturers. Some were craftsman, others were not. None have ever failed and all do a good job of clamping. Most of my pipes are threaded on both ends so I can use pipe connectors to join the pipes to make really long clamps when I've needed them.

Some types of clamps don't work well with galvanized pipe so make sure you know what you need before you buy your pipes.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

"If" I were going to buy some pipe clamps...I like the Irwin product with the "feet".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sean K, thanks for the Amazon alert

That is a good price, especially with free shipping......4 for the price of 3
    Thanks for posting the heads up Sean

I bought 4 of the Rockler clamps. out of the 4 three of them turned so hard you had to hold the clamp from turning over. I spent about 45 mins. screwing them in and out just to get them lessened up a little still don't work as nice as the pony's. the quick real was a joke. had to grind the clamp housing down on three of them other wise they would slide on the pipe. they work kinda OK but they are not my first choice when I reach for pipe clamps. The three I had all th trouble with the screw threads was phosphorus coated.(I think that's what it's called. It's the coating they used to keep stuff from rusting. Black with little shiny stuff in it)

Of the few brands I have, I like the Rocklers the best.
    Jay St. Peter