Thread: Beech for hand planes

Beech for hand planes

Does anyone know of a good source for quarter sawn beech?
    I'd like to make a couple of hand planes.

Ben

try woodfinder.com, it might turn up something in your neck of the woods.
    The means by which an end is reached must exemplify the value of the end itself.

There may be a couple of other options

I took a class from Todd Herrli on wooden plane making and he had a couple of suggestions on alternatives where Qsawn beech was hard to find. His first suggestion was to take 4/4 flatsawn beech and laminate 4 layers together to get a 4" thick block and then rip the block and the flatsawn grain becomes mostly quartersawn.

He also suggests hard maple as it is much easier to find 12/4 or 16/4 hard maple that is quartersawn or close to it. He says the real best is to find someone taking down an apple or pear tree and beg and grovel as necesary to get the trunk, cut it into lengths and split out blocks, and set it aside to fry for a couple of years. The fruitwood is excellant but very hard to come across.

I also bought some from a guy here on the Creek. Send me a PM and I'll send you his name. Don't know if he still has any or not, and I have not seen him post anything in a while, but you can try.

HB

I didn't have any luck...

Quote Originally Posted by BEN SHELTON View Post
    Does anyone know of a good source for quarter sawn beech?
    I'd like to make a couple of hand planes.

Ben
    I tried some time ago, made lots of phone calls, but nobody seemed to be able to help. There is a fair amount of 4/4 beech out there, but anything thicker was tough to come by. I second the idea for maple. I tried on a jack plane, but a hidden knot ended it. One of these days I will get back to it...

Eric

Is there more than one type of pear? I have a trunk from a Bradford pear I am drying currently. Is this a good wood for planes? I was going to turn it all but might make a plane with a chunk if it is a good choice. Thanks, john.

There are TONS of types of pear. I wouldn't be surprised if you opened up the pear tree to find the trunk wasn't as good as you expected, but if it is, it will probably be an OK tree. I don't see any numbers on bradford pear, but what's sold as european pear is nice wood to work. But what is sold as european pear is also very variable, it seems. I bought a big quartersawn board of it a couple of years ago and didn't get what I expected to see. I still haven't cut that board, but it doesn't feel heavy enough so I'm guessing it's not the same thing as mike wenzloff uses on saw handles (which looks fabulous).

See if you can find some reclaimed barn beams.

I had an old plank of beech that I was able to resaw and used it to make
    some small boxes.

Excellent wood to work.

J.P.

Cherry would be another decent choice. My local mill normally has a lot of it in 16/4
    Trevor Walsh
    TWDesignShop

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Walsh View Post
    Cherry would be another decent choice. My local mill normally has a lot of it in 16/4
    Trevor, who might that be? Is it Groff and Groff?
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...