Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Project Finally Complete

Very nice. I especially like the joinery on the posts.

"Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Question Domino Question

Randy...great job! I particularly like the shape and design of the legs.

Question about your use of the dominos for the slats. It seems that with the dominos oriented that way and with the way you cut a mortise into the slats, you have a very, very slim margin of error in the positioning of each mortise on the end of each slat. If you're off by a hair, it seems the slat wouldn't fit onto the domino on each end.

How did you accomplish this? Or, am I missing something completely?
    Where will you be when you get where you're going? -- Jerry Clower

Excellant job on a first project. I can't wait to see what you will come up with after you've been at this for a while. Geez if I had only had a domino for my first project, lucky guy, I still haven't got one and I've been at this for a while.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben West View Post
    Randy...great job! I particularly like the shape and design of the legs.

Question about your use of the dominos for the slats. It seems that with the dominos oriented that way and with the way you cut a mortise into the slats, you have a very, very slim margin of error in the positioning of each mortise on the end of each slat. If you're off by a hair, it seems the slat wouldn't fit onto the domino on each end.

How did you accomplish this? Or, am I missing something completely?
    You didn't miss anything, there is a slim margin of error. The trick is to reference the domino off a common point. I did this by laying the cleat on the workbench such that the inside portion of the cleat (the part that is closer to the inside of the bed and farther away from the side rail) was down. I then cut the mortises.

Then after the cleat was installed on the side rail and the side rails attached to the head and foot boards, I positioned each slat, 1 by 1, in the position they would be. Then I used a 3D clamp on each side that butted up against the cleat and clamped it to the slat.

By butting it up against the inside of the cleat, the clamp now acted as the exact same reference point that the workbench provided for the cleat. I removed the slat and placed the base of the domino against the clamp and cut the mortise. I also wiggled the Domino just a tad as I plunged to give me a little more margin.

When I make the next bed, I plan on taking more pictures. It'd be a lot easier to see than to read what I wrote...

The only problem with this method is that it leaves very little grain to support the end of the mortise. And if when placing the slat, you tweak too much, it could blow it out. I consider that, but then thought if it happened (which it did once), I could glue it back on and reinforce it, or leave as is, since it would now just be a normal slat.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hager View Post
    Geez if I had only had a domino for my first project, lucky guy, I still haven't got one and I've been at this for a while.
    I was lucky enough to have the right amount of Christmas/birthday gift cards and spare cash to spring for it when I was tooling up.

But honestly, I'll probably not keep it after I make the second bed. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a beautiful machine. And it does everything they said it would.

I just didn't seem to experience much satisfaction from using it. I wish I'd had spent the money on the hand tools to cut mortise and tenon joinery instead. I've slid down the Neanderthal slope the entire 6 months it took to make the bed. So I'll sell the Domino off for the equivalent hand tools.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Randy, that bed is fantastic. Super job!!!!
    Don Bullock
    Woebgon Bassets
    AKC Championss

The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.
    -- Edward John Phelps

Blog Entries
    A beautiful job and I like your solution on the legs.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Just found this thread, thanks for pointing me here on my bed question. Great job! I also love that post design!
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028

Great detail on the posts. Well done. Lars

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Klein View Post
    The trick is to reference the domino off a common point.
    Randy, this would have been an impressive project if it hadn't been your first, but as a first project it's even more impressive. My question is: how did you reference the Domino when making the legs? They're great, and I'd like to use that technique--plenty of room for variations on the theme.

Regards,

John
    What this world needs is a good retreat.
    --Captain Beefheart

Very nice work Randy, especially for a first project. For my first project, a stepstool, I knew I needed a "quick win" to whet my appetite for more. I'm not naturally a patient person. I have to force it upon myself.

A bed is going to be one of my next projects. The main thing I'm worried about is getting a board long enough to also remain straight enough. How did you handle this?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Stevens View Post
    Randy, this would have been an impressive project if it hadn't been your first, but as a first project it's even more impressive. My question is: how did you reference the Domino when making the legs? They're great, and I'd like to use that technique--plenty of room for variations on the theme.

Regards,

John
    Thanks for the kind words. As to how to reference the Domino for the legs, I'm glad you asked. I had almost forgotten how I did it, your question got me to remember and this time I drew it up.

I aligned them with just pencil markings and chose the wider mortise to help with any misalignment.

how to domino legs.jpg
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Zorns View Post
    A bed is going to be one of my next projects. The main thing I'm worried about is getting a board long enough to also remain straight enough. How did you handle this?
    You mean the side rails. I had the same concern and it all stems on proper selection at the mill. The rails are only 1" thick. So, if you can find 5/4 or 6/4 lumber that has minimal cupping or bowing over a 6' length, that'll work. I did not find that at my wood source. So I got 8/4.
    1. Flattened one side with a planer and planer sled,
    2. Jointed the edges square.
    3. Resawed on the BS to about 1-1/4" thickness.
    4. Then waited a few weeks for the board to re-stabilize since I removed a modest amount of wood.
    5. Re-flattened with the planer sled.
    6. Planed down to final thickness.
    After all that preparation, there was still a very slight bow. It was unnoticeable to the eye, but a straight edge revealed it. But it did not really affect anything.

Of course another approach is to laminate two 1/2" thick plywood together and then cover the edges with either a similar or complementary species.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

That's a very nice bed!

Could you post some pics of how the side rails are attached to the head/footboard.

I am trying to design a bed for myself and am not sure about that joinery. I don't know which way is the best way to join those pieces for the greatest strength.

Thanks,
    Trevor

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Eyre View Post
    That's a very nice bed!

Could you post some pics of how the side rails are attached to the head/footboard.

I am trying to design a bed for myself and am not sure about that joinery. I don't know which way is the best way to join those pieces for the greatest strength.

Thanks,
    Trevor
    Trevor,

I don't have any more detailed pics than what is in the first post. But I can explain. There is a domino tenon above and below the hex head bolt that you can see in this picture. The dominoes aren't glued in, they act like stub tenons.

Well actually, what you are seeing is the nut side of the bolt. I bought a square nut from lowes and the bolt is 3/8" I believe. I chose the square nut over the traditional hex nut because it provided enough bearing area that I didn't need a washer. And had I gone with the hex nut, I would have needed a washer and that would have required a deeper mortise, which would have left me rather thin on the other side.

Here's the other side of the bolt that is in the leg.

I hope that explains it well. It's not anything out of the ordinary. I got the idea from the Taunton Bed's book. Or maybe it was an article on FWW.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good