Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First Project Finally Complete

Very nice work! I'm still in building in shop accessory mode and haven't really tackled any furniture building of this magnitude yet. I can only hope I am as successful as you were on my first furniture build!

Oh, and yes, you're right.... this site is like going to class for free!

Question on the joint with bolt

Hi Randy,

I am new to woodworking and plan to make a pine bed for my nephew. On the joint that you made using bolt, how deep is the domino that you used
    Thanks
    Kirk
    Last edited by Kirk Smith; 09-26-2008 at 11:44 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Smith View Post
    Hi Randy,

I am new to woodworking and plan to make a pine bed for my nephew. On the joint that you made using bolt, how deep is the domino that you used
    Thanks
    Kirk
    I used 2 dominoes, 1 above and 1 below the bolt. I believe I used a 10mm x 50mm domino and put about 2/3 to 3/4 of it into the side rail. So only about 1/2" of the domino went into the post.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Drilling Bolt Holes

Hi Randy,

Excellent bed. Really like the posts.

I was wondering how you drilled the holes in the side boards? I am having trouble thinking how to get them drilled through and hit the target where the nut will be? I just have standard drills and a benchtop drill press to use.

TIA

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Summers View Post
    Hi Randy,

Excellent bed. Really like the posts.

I was wondering how you drilled the holes in the side boards? I am having trouble thinking how to get them drilled through and hit the target where the nut will be? I just have standard drills and a benchtop drill press to use.

TIA
    I used a self-centering doweling jig (like this one) and a regular hand drill. Once you drill as deep as you can with the jig, remove it and continue drilling. The first hole you drill with the jig will guide the bit as you go deeper.

The doweling jig is real easy to line up to a mark and is of course, self centering.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Klein View Post
    I used a self-centering doweling jig (like this one) and a regular hand drill. Once you drill as deep as you can with the jig, remove it and continue drilling. The first hole you drill with the jig will guide the bit as you go deeper.

The doweling jig is real easy to line up to a mark and is of course, self centering.

Gotta love the creek. Excellent idea.

Another question has come to mind. What was your clamping strategy / method when gluing up the posts? Sorry if I missed this in an earlier reply.

Thanks again

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Summers View Post
    Gotta love the creek. Excellent idea.

Another question has come to mind. What was your clamping strategy / method when gluing up the posts? Sorry if I missed this in an earlier reply.

Thanks again
    I either used plastic resin glue or TBIII for a longer open time. The post is made of 4 identical components. I thought of glueing just two together at a time, and then glue those two together later, but I was concerned about keeping them square enough during the first glue-up.

So I just glued the whole thing together by glueing one corner together, then the opposite corner, then joining those two. It has to be done like that because you can't glue three pieces together (and form a "U") and then add the 4th piece last. I then clamped everything together, some clamps were perpendicular to the others.

After all the clamping was done, I then used a damp rag and a piece of cut off to ram down the center square hole to clean up squeeze out. That worked rather well.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Blog Entries
    I haven't read every word of the thread, so if someone else has already mentioned this, my apologies.

I am assuming this is for a child, and a boy at that. I am thinking that boys will be boys, and that an uncovered hollow bedpost is just screaming for all kinds of "stuff" the be put into it. Things that might not be so easy to get out and might start to produce some pretty strange odors after a period of time as well. So I was thinking, that maybe some sort of a finial or decorative plug would be a nice addition to the top of the bedpost. They could be moved to the top bed when that one is complete.

Oh, and BTW, that is one awesome first project!
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    I haven't read every word of the thread, so if someone else has already mentioned this, my apologies.

I am assuming this is for a child, and a boy at that. I am thinking that boys will be boys, and that an uncovered hollow bedpost is just screaming for all kinds of "stuff" the be put into it. Things that might not be so easy to get out and might start to produce some pretty strange odors after a period of time as well. So I was thinking, that maybe some sort of a finial or decorative plug would be a nice addition to the top of the bedpost. They could be moved to the top bed when that one is complete.

Oh, and BTW, that is one awesome first project!
    Thanks Larry. You are right (it is for a boy), a finial or cap of some sort is on my list of things to do. And it'll probably move really high on the list the first time I discover something has been put in there.

In the meantime, I have him look down into the hollow and I blow real hard into the hole for the bed bolt. It hits him right in the eye. And then he of course does it to me...
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

I'm building a set of bunk beds for my grandkids and really liked this leg design. I've built a lot of queen sized beds and usually use solid wood about 3x3 but decided to use this approach with 4/4. It also lends itself to connecting the bunk beds together. I made a couple of modifications:

1. I was worried about the edges of the notches in the corners getting dinged so I filled them in with 1/4" square cocobolo which is much harder
    2. I wanted more glue surface for the mortise/tenon used to join the headboard/footboard rails so I cut square stock to just fit inside and positioned them to where the mortises would be

I've attached a picture of a test piece to see how the cocobolo highlight would look. (The highlights in the back are maple which I decided against.)

IMG_3472.jpg
    Last edited by Jim Barstow; 09-19-2019 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    Man if that is your first what's it going to look like when you get 10 under your belt.

It is a very nice looking bed and I do like the way you did the corner post. I am sure he will like it and will keep it for his kids and grand kids.
    I couldn't have expressed it any better than Bill did. Great completed first build!