Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Project Finally Complete

Blog Entries

First Project Finally Complete

I finally completed my very first project. A twin bed for my son made out of maple and cherry with poplar mattress support slats. The finish is BLO, blonde shellac, and paste wax.

It took just under 6 months to do. A lot of that time was spent on researching what tool or technique was needed for the next step. And if you have read any of my other posts, you can see I did a lot of that research here. Almost every tool and/or technique used, I did for the very first time. I'm sure I would have had many more mistakes had it not been for the advice given here. Thanks for the all the info from everyone.

The plans were largely based on the bunk bed plans available at Rockler. I did make some noticeable changes that I will illustrate in the photos.

The most noticeable are the posts. The plans called for laminating 2 boards together, but I didn't want the glue line visible. So after some experimenting I ended up with the one shown in Figure 3. It's 4 boards that have 1/2"x1/2" rabbett on 1 side. Butted up and dominoed to each other. It leaves a nice 1/4"x1/4" rabbett reveal that seemed interesting. There was an added advantage that it left a hollow down the middle. I'll be making another bed for my other son in the spring, and these are designed to be bunked. So the hollow will serve to connect the two.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Randy Klein; 11-12-2007 at 10:13 AM.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Blog Entries
    The second change was the mattress support. The plans called for a simple plywood bottom. But I went with poplar slats - 4" wide spaced 1" apart. I attached the slats to the cleat with dominoes. In fact, I used dominoes for every joint in the project, except the bed bolts.

The third change was the bed bolts. The plans called for the metal bracket, mortised type hardware, but I wanted something that would take the abuse my boys can dish out. So I opted for a bolt through the post and into a captured rectangular nut.

The final picture is the completed bed after mom did her part.

Please provide any comments, criticisms, or suggestions you may have. You won't hurt my feelings and it's the only way I can get better.

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Randy Klein; 11-11-2007 at 6:51 PM.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Rob Will Guest
    Looks great Randy. I really like the detail for building up a fat leg. The bed looks quite durable.

So, I just have to ask...you ever take the boys to the Air Force Musuem there in Dayton?

Rob

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Will View Post
    So, I just have to ask...you ever take the boys to the Air Force Musuem there in Dayton?
    I have once, but they were a little young to appreciate it, but still thought it was really cool.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Great Job Randy

I need to tackle a bed myself soon, you gave me some great idea's.

Criticisum - None. That is well done, and I really like the finish. I think hit got a home run. Well done!!! Ken
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

Very nice work, Randy! That will give your son many years of service and it looks great!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Criticism, no way. Very nicely done ! I like the way you handled the posts.

Blog Entries
    Randy, impressive work. You will fit in here nicely along the creeks shoreline. Nice choice with the bolt and captive nut. That should really hold up nicely. The first thing I thought of when I looked at the pictures was bunk bed. The second one will call for some exact measuring and joints so that the posts line up for the mating. Interesting treatment on the posts. Were the crossmembers morticed into the posts? Nice job.
    There's one in every crowd......and it's usually me!

Real great work. nice details. I may have to make one myself it's so pretty.

Take care
    Bob Oehler

Man if that is your first what's it going to look like when you get 10 under your belt.

It is a very nice looking bed and I do like the way you did the corner post. I am sure he will like it and will keep it for his kids and grand kids.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Voorhees View Post
    The second one will call for some exact measuring and joints so that the posts line up for the mating.
    What you say is very true, especially since the foot and head board are off by a 1/16". Which in normal bed mode is nothing, but when bunked with another, that 1/16" will be apparent.

So, since in bunk mode, the two head boards will be on the bottom, I'll need to make the next one's foot board to match this one's head board and vice versa. I'll also need to ensure the next head board can mate with the current side rail, as well as the current foot board with the next side rail.

I'll have to write it down while it's fresh in my head and before it gets confusing again.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Voorhees View Post
    Interesting treatment on the posts. Were the crossmembers morticed into the posts? Nice job.
    Not sure what you mean by crossmembers, maybe it's what I call a side rail (the long piece connecting head and foot board). And if so, then yes, each end has a domino above and below the bolt to help with registration and support.
    Fast, Neat, Average
    Friendly, Good, Good

Randy, you are off to a great start. As others have said, your first project beats the heck out of most of our first few years of work. Nicely done! You have earned your spurs, and we look forward to your future projects.

Great looking bed. Kinda hard to believe it's your first project. I really like the way you made the posts. I just glued two boards together on the bed I made, and they don't look near as good as yours.

lovely job, for a first-timer - sheesh, my first project didn't look nearly as well polished!