Thread: Looking for a good honey dipper pattern...

Looking for a good honey dipper pattern...

Anybody have a picture of a good honey dipper pattern or perhaps the proper dimensions and spacing?

Thanks!

AAron

I use a thin parting tool for the slots. You can space them to what ever looks good to you. If you google honey dippers you will see basically one form, a series of rings and spaces for the dipper end and a straight shaft for the handle, some plain and some with knobs on the end. With a little imagination you can make a nicer looking handle than a straight shaft. Looking forward to seeing your finished dippers.

Terry

The Summer 2006 American Woodturner has a very good article on honey dippers by Nick Cook. It is a how-to with suggested designs.

I make honey dippers. Sometimes I just turn a 1" ball on the tailstock end of a 6" long blank, between centers. Once the ball is turned, the handle is made from the ball back towards the headstock, beginning at 3/8" dia shaft tapering (about 1 1/2" long) to 1/2"dia. Then I maintain the 1/2" diameter through the rest of the length. Make a bead at the transition point and at the end with a small ball on the very end. Looks good.
    The slots are cut with a parting tool I made from an Old Hickory butcher knife (about 1/16" thick). Start the slots about 1/4" from the end of the ball, and skip the thickness of the tool to start the second slot. I make the slots vary in depth to leave the center spindle (inside the slots) taper from 1/4" dia to 3/8" dia in the center of the ball. Varying this will make a different "look" to the center spindle. You can curve it, or oval it, or make it straight. Just depends on your time and energy spent.
    You can also make the ball oval instead of round. I have a large oval dipper that will work in a quart jar of honey (it'll drench a biscuit in about 3 seconds), and a smaller round one that will work in the little SueBee plastic 'bear' bottles.

Just decided to post a quick pic of a few. The largest (Biscuit drencher) one is 7 1/2" long, and made of cherry, the other ones (useable, but not cool) are Bois d'Arc. These were my first ones, and you can tell I missed on the spacing on some. Also, make sure you keep the slotting tool exactly perpendicular to the ways, or the vanes will be curved in or out and will be thinner in the center, which will break easier.
    The handles need to be longer than your average coffee scoop.
    Hope this gives you some ideas.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Allen Neighbors; 11-11-2007 at 9:26 PM. Reason: Post a pic.
    Allen
    The good Lord didn't create anything without a purpose, but mosquitoes come close.
    And.... I'm located just 1,075 miles SW of Steve Schlumpf.