Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much vibration to expect on Grizzly G0490 8" Jointer

How much vibration to expect on Grizzly G0490 8" Jointer

Just got a Grizzly G0490 jointer and finished putting it together. The manual indicates a test run after assembly and before final adjustments are made.

I quote: "The jointer should run smoothly with little or no vibration."

This is my first jointer so what would be considered an acceptable amount of vibration from the jointer?

My first test run produced what I would consider too much vibration. So, I took off the panels, tightened the v-belt, and double checked the pulley alignment (I used a plumb bob for this. Please let me know if there's a better way. The manual says to visually align, but I don't trust my visual abilities.). This helped, but their is still vibration and it is more apparent at the ends of the table.

Thanks,

I have no problem standing a nickel up at either end of mine .....

You might want to ditch the factory v-belt and install a Powertwist link-belt. I did this on my G0490 and it made a big difference in the amount of vibration.

Clay

I have the same jointer and had the same problem. After fiddling with the
    belt pulleys about 50% went away and after using it for a month another 25% went away. The vibration still seems too much so I'm going to get a link belt soon. To adjust the pulleys I cut out some of the sheet metal to get a straight edge to fit vertically from the bottom pulley face to the top pulley face.
    Rob

I switched to the link belt but I also noticed how poorly machined the original pulleys were, so Grizzly replaced them. My vibration is now at an acceptable level. It has also seemed to lessen over time not sure why, but I suspect it might have to do with the flex in the thin metal the base is made out of, just a guess.

Also you should check the set screws on the lower pully, when setting mine up I noticed that the set screw would work loose, the pully would move and vibration woudl insue. I little blue lock tite fixed the issue.

490 vibration

I just got my new 490 up and running. Its vibrates some at start up but then settles down nicely after less than a second. Passed the nickel test, the nickel doesn't move at all. Love those flat boards

I guess I am a little surprised by what I hear. Normally I read of nothing but praise for Grizzly products. However, it seems as if quite a few of you have had a vibration problem with a jointer which I would think shouldn't have such a problem. It makes me wonder if Grizzly gets a free pass too often because it's prices are so low, even when the performance is not. BTW, I own no Grizzly tools.

Dick, I fully agree. Since buying the jointer (which was my first Grizzly purchase), I have not bought another Grizzly product, although I have added a lot of gold (PM2000, PM15HH and Mortiser) which I am thrilled with. I think for the pricepoint that Grizzly sells it is a good value, but in my experience (and a few other local WW'ers I know) I would rather buy something with a little more quality even if it does cost more. It is just more enjoyable to use in my opinion.

The jointer is not bad, it just is not my favorite tool to use, and took a lot of work to get it to what I consider an acceptable working state. I get very little time in my shop and it is a place I go to enjoy myself, so if a tool makes that experience better then it is worth it IMO. Oh well, lesson learned.

More justification for my decision not to purchase a Grizzly. In a few months, you forget about the couple hundred you saved, but you never stop wishing you went with a high quality machine. "Not bad" doesn't cut it for me when you put out that kind of money for an essential machine. I'd rather wait (which I am doing) to be able to afford the quality.

I just want to clarify, that I am not ripping Grizzly products. As long as you know what you are getting and the lower price is important to you then it is a good buy. But just because their machines LOOK like others does not mean they are. Don't expect to get a DJ20 when buying a GO490 etc. The quality of things like bearings, motors, pulleys etc are different. For example instead of balancing the cutterhead during the manufacturing process, Grizzly grinds down sections of the cutterhead after it is made.
    I think it is great that there is a company like Grizzly that offers a value oriented line of tools as it allows more people to enjoy this hobby, that might not otherwise be able to

John, do you have a review or close up pics of the PM15HH?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Sylvan View Post
    I guess I am a little surprised by what I hear. Normally I read of nothing but praise for Grizzly products. However, it seems as if quite a few of you have had a vibration problem with a jointer which I would think shouldn't have such a problem. It makes me wonder if Grizzly gets a free pass too often because it's prices are so low, even when the performance is not. BTW, I own no Grizzly tools.
    Although I see 3 out of 5 posts saying the tool was great out of the box (and many more throughout the forum) there are always outside influences. Was the base assembled wherever it happened to be convenient or was a flat, level surface used.

We see posts here and there on all makes of tools not acting for one person the way they acted for another. I know my shop floor is less than ideal and have found my rate of initial success has climbed since I started doing my assembly work on a known flat and level surface. These machines are heavy and will joyfully embrace gravity in the search for the point closest to the ground even if it means racking the stand to get there.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

14. Same Problem! Fixed!

I hope this is your problem as well. I have the ShopFox W1741 8" jointer (your same jointer w/ pbeds). It almost walked itself across the shop. Before I did anything, someone suggested checking the belt. I went to my local belt store and picked up the equivalent v-belt (the length and width are in the manual). Put it on, and it ran like a top. VERY little vibration at start up w/ a little belt slap and then she smoothes out to where I could stand a nickel up on the bed.

I hope this is your problem - the belt was very poorly manufactured and I'm sure Grizzly/ShopFox has no quality control over that. It was a 15 minute/$5 fix.

Hope this helps!
    Aaron
    GO POKES!!

Barry, Dont want to hi-jack this thread, Below was a thread I posted when I got them, with pics etc.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=63626