Thread: Removing reflective with steam

Removing reflective with steam

Hello,
    I need to remove reflective decals from a trailer. I've removed reflective before but used an eraser wheel and a spray solvent. It worked alright but was slow and messy. I also didn't like the possibility of scratching the paint with this method. I did recently find out about the steaming method by word of mouth. I checked the net and found a picture of this. It looked like they were using a plate steamer used for wallpaper removal. Does anyone have experience with this? Could I use a plate steamer made for wallpaper?
    Thanks for the info!!

I'm not sure if its the same material, but I had an old road sign (legally obtained) that was covered in reflective material and I wanted to use the metal for something. I was able to remove it by heating with a heat gun to soften the adhesive quickly. I remember it left a fair amount of adhesive behind, which I probably removed with laquer (sp?) thinner--can't remember--which probably wouldn't be good on something you want to save the paint on. Maybe WD-40 would remove that? I know it works for many adhesives and doesn't damage the paint.
    Last edited by Matt Meiser; 11-07-2007 at 3:54 PM.

Like Matt I use a heat gun to remove all types of vinyl. The problem with reflective is that it's laminated, and often leaves behind the adhesive and a carrier layer. That can be softened with denatured alcohol, but has to sit, so not good on a trailer. The best stuff, that softens it within 1-2 minutes is a product called by Rapid Remover, available at sign supplies. I buy it by the gallon, about $30 though, $12 for a quart.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I second Rapid Remover. I use it every time I have glue residue on anything. Super stuff. Says to wipe with water or Rapid Tac afterwards (which I always do), so not sure if it will do damage if directions aren't followed.

Great stuff, everyone should have a bottle laying around.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.